Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, some of the specifications I am most interested in are coming out. With my 5DIV, my buffer fills in a matter of seconds (clocked it at 3.2 secs with 160 MB/sec CF only and 2.3 sec with SD card) and it is rated at 21 RAW images. This has been a limitation in numerous circumstances.

Buffer size:
    R5: 180 RAW/260 CRAW
    R6: 240 RAW/1000+ CRAW

I was hoping to be able to do the 12 fps for >5 seconds. Looks like both pass that easily with the R5 being at a minimum of 15 seconds continuous shooting of RAW at 12 fps (I say minimum as usually buffer size does not include what is being written to the card) and the R6 is well past that. Even at 20 fps, that is 9 sec of continuous shooting. I have seen one reference to this being to the CFExpress card only, which would be fine with me. I am starting to shoot to CF card only in the 5DIV to get my 3.2 sec buffer.

So, in terms of my boxes, consider this one checked.

An interesting spec I was not expecting, AF at -6 EV. I am plenty happy with the -3 EV lower AF limit in the 5DIV, so that is not something I am looking for, but for those of you that want to AF in a closet with no lights on. There you go.

In terms of a negative, Bryan doesn't include this yet, but I am hearing that battery life is 300-400 pics per charge. This is a negative. Granted, I have shot double the rated 305 images on my M6II on a single charge. So, we'll see, but this is one I am now watching.

Overall, these two cameras are looking very very good. Where the 1DXIII I view as sort of the apex of the DSLRs, it does look like, in particular the R5, these are everything the mirrorless/"next generation" folks have been asking for.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.