Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

R6 birding

I went to chase kingfisher....ended up with pigeon

Pigeon by Kari, on Flickr

R6+RF800mm

Regarding the R5's heat issues, this is quite an interesting read: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/202...heat-emission/

Found out last night interesting issue with R6. Interval timer skips images if you don't give atleast 2s cap for interval vs exposure. No matter do you use curtain or mechanical shutter. 4s f2 iso3200 90 images with 5s interval skipped half images. With 6s intervall no problems. This is quite wierd, since with 5d4 i was able to use +1s interval with no issues, until the exposure time started to be near 10s.

Need to continue testing, how this goes with shorter exposure times, but if i have to use 3s intervall on 1s exposures, not sure am i happy when taking aurora timelapses on northern finland/norway with real shows, when i need short exposure. Card speed had no change on this and i have every single NR etc. turned off so that i don't have any effect on time lapse shooting from them.

That is odd. Hopefully that is remedied.

Having more and more fun with the R5.

This was taken using a tripod mounted Canon 600mm + 1.4TC + RF-EF adapter with the camera in 1.6 crop mode and mechanical shutter.

This yields a field of view equivalent to a 1344mm lens .... all the focus points are active across the viewfinder and the camera almost immediately locks onto the birds eye.

Just about every shot is tack sharp on the eye (no AFMA required!)

1/640 sec. f/5.6. iso 1600
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 09-15-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Tested something totally different with my R6 and the RF800mm.

These are taken using skywatcher mini. Was suprised how well you can actually take deep space stuff even with F11. Currently have found out that atleast 1 minute exposures are quite well keeping focus. Now i need to start find the sweet spot with iso values. These images are taken with iso 10000 and naturally have stacked images + darks added.

Damn addictive even with this kind of equipment

Plejades. 1min exposure x8 with iso 10000 with 5 darks

Plejades R6 RF800mm by Kari, on Flickr

Andromeda 40s exposure x 49 iso 10000 with 10 darks

Andromeda R6 RF800mm by Kari, on Flickr

Great stuff Kari!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting more and more accustomed to the R5 and it's various functions.

One thing I thought I would share:

The older batteries (LP-E6N) will work in the camera, however, they do not have enough power for the mechanical shutter to work at its highest speed no matter what other combination settings you use. The electronic shutter will shoot at 20 fps with the older batteries. I don't know if using two of them in a battery grip would change things.

The new battery (LP-E6NH) will allow the high speed setting to function with the mechanical shutter even when it gets below 1/2 power.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    The older batteries (LP-E6N) will work in the camera, however, they do not have enough power for the mechanical shutter to work at its highest speed no matter what other combination settings you use.
    Could it just be because your LP-E6N batteries are a bit old? Mine are indicating low recharge performance, so they would probably have the same issue. But maybe new ones would work okay (although not for as long as the LP-E6NH).

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I am getting more and more accustomed to the R5 and it's various functions.

One thing I thought I would share:

The older batteries (LP-E6N) will work in the camera, however, they do not have enough power for the mechanical shutter to work at its highest speed no matter what other combination settings you use. The electronic shutter will shoot at 20 fps with the older batteries. I don't know if using two of them in a battery grip would change things.

The new battery (LP-E6NH) will allow the high speed setting to function with the mechanical shutter even when it gets below 1/2 power.
    Do you know how fast of fps you get with the older batteries? I've been curious.

For whatever reason, it is part of the spec that you need LP-E6NH batteries for 12 fps. I just noticed you also need to be 1/1000th of faster on the shutterspeed.

Name:  R5 shutter speed.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  188.5 KB