Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 - Image of the Week #30

2020 - Image of the Week #30

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 30 entry period will be from Monday, July 20th through/including Sunday, July 26th.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-21-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

Redwood Portrait by Patrick H, on Flickr

Long Tailed Sylph

(Iso 3200 5DMKIV image from Ecuador reprocessed with Topaz AI plug ins)

Flash

Night time thunder by Kari, on Flickr

"Resting"

IMG_3513 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Venus

Venus by Kari, on Flickr

I'm going with Patrick's Redwoods. The person in frame really shows off the scale of the trees. The foreground tree isn't doing anything for me though. That could be any sized tree with the camera right beside it. The rest of the image is great though. I'd probably crop off anything to the left of the middle of the bright tree, so you have a some of the foreground tree to work as a framing element, but without nearly as much of it.

Joel - great shot as always, but someone else needed a chance this week.

Kari - Nice lightning capture. I know lightning shots are tricky to get. Wish there was more going on in the frame though. Similar comment on Venus. Image is a dark, not much going on in frame... If it wasn't titled Venus, I'd have no idea what the subject was. This could all be a "me" issue though. I'd don't understand the appeal of 95% of landscape shots.

Brant - Nice hummingbird. You're getting pretty good at birds! I would probably have cropped a bit tighter to show more detail and make the background a bit more blurred. Joel's got a tighter shot despite having the long tail to keep in frame.

Hopefully my comment are taken as constructive.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Some really nice hummingbirds this week, and I have been enjoying Kari's night scenes.

Thanks for the nod David, and appreciate the constructive feedback. Here's a square crop of the same image.

Redwood Square Crop by Patrick H, on Flickr

Yeah the venus picture is bit dark, to have the right light there was. There is actually quite much going on for a night shooter =) Fog rising in distance, venus shining bright, nice formation off clouds running by and noctilucent clouds lurking on top of the screen above clouds. I am personally hating all those overly exposed night images, where everything looks like you have been taking pictures on day time. And gz patrick, indeed nice composition.

Congrats Patrick!