Thread: Using a non-IS EF lens on an R5

Using a non-IS EF lens on an R5

First time poster, long-time reader.

I'm a hobby photographer on a finite budget.
    I just received my R5 and am looking for advise on a non-IS EF 70-200, either a f/2.8 or f/4.
    Will they benefit from the IBIS capabilities on an R5?
    Should I expect similar improvement with an IBIS equipped camera as I would with an IS-equipped lens and no-IBIS in my camera?

Thanks, Duppie

My R5 arrived Friday, so I have just started testing it. But IBIS was one of the first things I tested. Still early, but what I am seeing is with non-IS EF lenses, there is ~2-stop image stabilization.

What surprised me, I am not seeing a benefit of IBIS with EF lenses that have in-lens IS.

OK, so I found this document, where is states that neither lens listed above will work with H+ (12FPS) shooting.
    Does anyone know what kind of FPS could I expect with these lenses?

https://www.canon-europe.com/support...tcm:13-1990619

Edit: This is a more extensive explanation than the list in the R5 Advanced User guide on page 896.
    Last edited by Duppie; 10-05-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    My R5 arrived Friday, so I have just started testing it. But IBIS was one of the first things I tested. Still early, but what I am seeing is with non-IS EF lenses, there is ~2-stop image stabilization.

What surprised me, I am not seeing a benefit of IBIS with EF lenses that have in-lens IS.
    Thank you. 2 stop image stabilization is not bad at all.
    So at 200 mm I should be able to get to 1/100 or maybe even 1/50 shutterspeed depending on circumstances. I think that would meet most of my use cases for this lens.