Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 - Image of the Week #46

2020 - Image of the Week #46

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 46 entry period will be from Monday, November 9th through/including Sunday, November 15th.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-14-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Sleepy Mallard

Valley in Yellowstone with distant thermal feature (re-processed from last August)

"Galactic Core"
    6S0A1055 by kayaker72, on Flickr

"Forging a new path"
    John 3:16
    My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/191336345@N02/
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Greenway

Greenway by Kari, on Flickr

"Mountain Sunset"

6S0A1010 by kayaker72, on Flickr

one more this week

"Autum Bloom"
    John 3:16
    My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/191336345@N02/
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Joel, it's a very nice duck, but it's a very common duck. I'm curious if the lighting in "Valley in Yellowstone" is natural. It looks overly cross processed to me.

Brant, the "Galactic Core" is nice, but I would have cleaned up the dotted 'airplane line' (or whatever it is). The foreground tree is too well-lit, so it doesn't really fit the rest of the scene. Unsure if that was just a nearby light, or an attempt at light painting. Both issues distracts from an otherwise nice photo.

Zach, nice tone range in "Forging a New Path", but it's just not an image I can see myself coming back to. Perhaps ideal for a metal-worker's workshop. The "Autumn Bloom" looks like the petals and stamen are over-exposed, while the rest of the image is very dark. It's like you did selective color, but selective exposure instead, and blew out any details in the subject. I would have zoomed closer to see if there was any detail in there, but the image isn't clickable. Contrast that to the dark side of the anvil... I don't care that it's pure black. I'm not sure if that's just something I'm willing to accept more readily in B&W, or the the loss of detail there is acceptable since it allows you more tonal range in the rest of the image, that the anvil is secondary, while the hammer is the focal point, or that it's possible for that to appear near pure black in reality too... but somehow the over-darkening is fine, while the overblown lighting on the flower, especially since it's the focal point, just doesn't feel right.

Kari, nice aurora, and lots of visible stars. You must be pretty remote to be able to get this detail. The tree line could be a bit more interesting, but otherwise good. Maybe I've just been spoiled by some other forum member's amazing aurora photos over lakes and mountains.

This week goes to Brant's "Mountain Sunset". The sunset just pops far more than Kari's aurora, and the layers of fogged out hills provide a more interesting ground level.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Joel, it's a very nice duck, but it's a very common duck. I'm curious if the lighting in "Valley in Yellowstone" is natural. It looks overly cross processed to me.
    Congrats Brant....beautiful image.

The Yellowstone image is natural light but I added a gradient filter to enhance the blue in the distant hills and bring out the orange/red in the foreground. Maybe it's too much