Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1DX III last of a dying breed?

Are they still making the EF L Lenses?
    I do not know about everyone else, but in my kit the camera is only 20% of the cost. There is more involved in this debate than just the body.
    I think you will see the 1DXIII in production / sold for a long time. If they discontinue the body the lenses have to go at the same time.
    It would make sense they would try and balance the supply chain so they all run out about the same time.

That is a good point and while Canon is on record as saying no new EF lenses will be developed, I have not heard of shutting down production of any either.

But, there is a second level to that as RF lenses are at a premium price point and right now EF lenses are coming in at a discount. For example, at B&H right now the RF 70-200 F2.8 is $2,700, the EF 70-200 f/2.8 III is $2,100, and then there is a new EF 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS for $1,250. I actually do not see the EF 70-200 f/2.8 II. At 24-70 f/2.8, the RF is $2,300 while the EF v II is $1,900. So, as people switch to the R system, they could buy an adapter and pick up EF lenses. Canon will continue to populate various price points with their products, which is very much a Canon (and good business) thing to do.

I am intrigued that the EF lenses are as high as they are (I haven't looked for ages). Either they are still selling well so Canon does not see much of a need to drop their prices, or Canon created an inventory and feels no need to move that inventory at this point.

There are many EF L lenses that there is not a equivalent R lens yet. It would make sense that the scale back of the EF lenses would coincided with the R lenses stable being full. It would also make sense that as long as there is no equivalent Big White lenses they will be making / or selling the 1Dx III.

Another consideration regarding the ongoing production and marketing of EF lenses is that there are millions of DSLR bodies out there that will be operational and supported by Canon perhaps for another decade in terms of parts, maintenance and repair services.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    ..... there are millions of DSLR bodies out there......
    True....and if you ask my wife, I own most of those.....