Thread: An open letter to Canon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There are always gripes with any camera, right? And each person is different. I have not found something equivalent to a "liveview" button. I would put this as a minor gripe for me. It would be nice to have a dedicated button or have a mode where you can set which things are displayed where.

That said, the more I've shot with the R5, the more I may understand why this is a relative non-issue for me. If the camera is up to my eye, more and more, I look at menus, Q, playback, everything, through the EVF. The camera is leaving my eye less and less as I become more comfortable with this. If I do pull my eye from the EVF, it is automatically displayed on the LCD, so it works well. If I am shooting with the LCD, I want everything displayed on the LCD, which it is.

About the only time I have noticed this being an issue is if I am just messing with the camera menu/modes, etc and not trying to take a picture or if there is a pause in the action and I pull my eye away from the EVF, the image is then displayed on the LCD. So there are times when I would want to be able to turn the sensor off so it is not working. It would be nice to have a mode where the LCD was menu/playback/"Q"/etc only but with a press of a button it is also in liveview.

So, not perfect, but it really is very very good. As for all the other ergonomics, I am finding the R5 to be great. Then as you play you may find a lot of features showing what the camera can do. Even last night, I was manually focusing using Focus point illumination through the EVF, and shooting handheld 1/13th of a second with my 24-70 II (IBIS). The R5 is the first camera that would allow me to do that. I was just trying to get a quick blue hour landscape shot of Jupiter/Saturn. Even the planets highlighted red as I got them in focus.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-27-2020 at 06:52 PM.