Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 -Best or Favorite Images

2020 -Best or Favorite Images

So, heckuva year. But, looking back as it ends, there is still time for my favorite thread of the year. Your best or favorite photos of 2020!

Apopka Wildlife Drive, just outside Orlando FL. Taken with Mike (Busted Knuckles). I have several images of these two GBHs fighting, but I think this may be my favorite. We actually saw them acting oddly. We didn't know if it was mating ritual or if they were about to fight, but they were on opposite sides of the road. After this picture, we knew the fight was on....

6S0A0962 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I know this looks like something from a sympathy card, but still, love it. At this point in the lockdown, I had decided to see how the action was in our front yard. So, a Kindle to read and a drink to the side, camera at the ready, I saw this Phoebe would land in this blooming Sand Cherry shrub before heading to its nest located above one of our front porch lights. Of all my bird pics, this probably stands out the most in my mind:

6S0A5938 by kayaker72, on Flickr

A very close second to this one are two shots I have of the Phoebe (a fly catcher) proudly displaying a bug that it had caught.

During COVID, my wife and I decided to try to fit in one trip (we had canceled several others). Our thought being that we could avoid crowds at Teton/Yellowstone National Parks, which we did. Often driving past destinations, going for early morning/late evening times and staying in our "car bubble." But, my love for those parks has not diminished. This is the first time I have been in 23 years and since I have really gotten into photography. A few images from the trip:

6S0A9905-Pano by kayaker72, on Flickr

6S0A0132-Pano-1 by kayaker72, on Flickr

After Yellowstone, I spent the next week visiting family in Idaho which finished off with a camping trip into the Gospel-Hump Wilderness area:

6S0A1010 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Back home, I had lined up the 1DX III to try out. I still have most of my images to go through, but this one has been a favorite:

AC8I4375 by kayaker72, on Flickr

There was a drought in New Hampshire (technically, I think we are still in one, but it is not as severe) this year as well. So they were draining on of my favorite places to paddle to migrate the water downstream to another reservoir. This created an surreal scene. At the time of this paddle, the water was about 15 ft lower than typical.

6S0A0101 by kayaker72, on Flickr

It was a great foliage year...this is from a waterfall trip with a friend into upstate Vermont:

In Explore--6S0A0113 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Second waterfall trip with my friend, this time to foothills in NH:

6S0A0988 by kayaker72, on Flickr

A getaway to my wife's native Rhode Island in October (house rental to ourselves) gave a nice opportunity for migrating geese at Sunrise:

537A4361 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Then these two goldfinch gave me the perfect chance to test AF tracking at 20 fps with the electronic shutter on the R5

537A8249 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I have several images that I really like from a Nor'easter that came through in early December, but this Junco may be my favorite. It is amazing how fairly simple birds can be very attractive.

537A9271 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Happy Holidays everyone. I hope you are healthy, safe, and that 2021 is a bit more normal.

Thanks for viewing...Brant

EDIT: I scaled back to 12 to fit a single post. If interested in more,
    I have an album on Flickr.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.

I think this has to be my favourite thread too, maybe because I get to use the Canadian spelling of the word . But I do enjoy the annual photo recap, and I hope that more of you participate this time around (please!).

I spent a week in Point Reyes, California pre-Covid, and it was a terrific visit. I would love to go back!

Old shipwreck, flashlight illuminated

Bobcat --- these are tough animals to photograph! Let alone, to find.

Tule Elk at dawn. I made a big print of this shot for myself, on metal. Very happy with it.

I don't normally shoot much from home, but during March and April I got into owl photography. Had some good luck with Great Greys.

One of the most common birds around here are ravens. I find them quite handsome and intelligent. But like all birds, they are challenging to photograph. Fortunately this one posed long enough for me to get something decent.

In October I was able to join a trip to central British Columbia for grizzly bears. I've been to this spot twice before and it's a "can't go wrong" type of place. Bring lots of cards be prepared to shoot all day!

Confident Cub

A rare blond cub

A perfect pose. I had to make a print of this one for myself!

If you get bored with the bears, there are also plenty of eagles around

Buh-Bye, 2020! I'm not shedding too many tears to see you go. But I was happy to make the most of it.

My photo experience highlight of 2020 was the trip to Ecuador in early January before the full nature of the pandemic was known.

It was a bucket list type of thing having read about Tandayapa Lodge for years.

The remainder of the year for bird photos was the set up in my yard which did provide some very nice opportunities as well.

Also the year was highlighted by the birth of my first grand-son in October, this was a real miracle as my daughter had been trying for several years to have a child and this pregnancy was threatened in the second trimester when she developed a bowel obstruction and needed emergency surgery. My wife and I had to sit in our vehicle in the parking lot of the hospital as all this was happening....don't think I've ever been more frightened but her surgeon performed perfectly and she recovered and then a few months later had a normal delivery....we feel blessed beyond words.

More 2020 Favorites.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post

Also the year was highlighted by the birth of my first grand-son in October, this was a real miracle as my daughter had been trying for several years to have a child and this pregnancy was threatened in the second trimester when she developed a bowel obstruction and needed emergency surgery. My wife and I had to sit in our vehicle in the parking lot of the hospital as all this was happening....don't think I've ever been more frightened but her surgeon performed perfectly and she recovered and then a few months later had a normal delivery....we feel blessed beyond words.
    Congratulations. I am so very happy that the incredible ordeal turned out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    During COVID, my wife and I decided to try to fit in one trip (we had canceled several others). Our thought being that we could avoid crowds at Teton/Yellowstone National Parks, which we did. Often driving past destinations, going for early morning/late evening times and staying in our "car bubble." But, my love for those parks has not diminished. This is the first time I have been in 23 years and since I have really gotten into photography.
    EDIT: I scaled back to 12 to fit a single post. If interested in more,
    I have an album on Flickr.
    You really got some great images from Yellowstone....I need to go back for a pure photo shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Congratulations. I am so very happy that the incredible ordeal turned out so well.
    Thank you so much !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I think this has to be my favourite thread too, maybe because I get to use the Canadian spelling of the word . But I do enjoy the annual photo recap, and I hope that more of you participate this time around (please!).
    Jonathan what an amazing set of images .... wow, fabulous!

Mostly grand kids

1D3_0187-16x20v by Mark Clem, on Flickr

_DS_0136vbwsc by Mark Clem, on Flickr

_DS_0100cvbws by Mark Clem, on Flickr

1D3_0055bwsv by Mark Clem, on Flickr

1D3_0159bws by Mark Clem, on Flickr

Yard1 by Mark Clem, on Flickr

1DS_0050v by Mark Clem, on Flickr

1DS_0021v_fp by Mark Clem, on Flickr
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Jonathan what an amazing set of images .... wow, fabulous!
    Thanks! And right back at you! Birds are incredibly challenging, and yet you keep generating incredibly detailed masterpieces. I gawk at them all.