Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Snow and Ice photography?

Tips for Snow and Ice photography?

well i need a little help fellers... right now it's freezing outside and it's going to get colder (down to 2°F or -16.67°C) with sleet, rain, wind and snow too.

anyway i wanna take this rare opportunity and get a few decent shots, i know some of you live where it's like this a lot, now i don't have any good areas near my house for scenic shots nor do i plan on driving anywhere much either, i just plan on walking around my home which is about 20 acres, it's mostly covered in cedar sadly, but no less i shall try!

i'll just be using my 40mm and my 55-250 lenses as my macro is still missing

any tips will be welcome!!!

here's a few sample shots of what the ice is like outside right now

From my backyard by Zach, on Flickr
    Frozen by Zach, on Flickr
    Gloomy Days Ahead by Zach, on Flickr
    John 3:16
    My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/191336345@N02/
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Here is one quick tip: watch your exposure. The meter in your camera is trying to expose the entire scene at 18% grey, so if there is a lot of white snow in your scene, the camera will try to underexpose. So make sure you take that into account and know that your in-camera meter will likely show overexposure by at least one stop (much more if the sun is shining on a lot of fresh white snow). Remember: snow is bright so don't be afraid to have high-key images!

Stephen

good tip Stephen! thanks and i have noticed my images have been darker than they should be once i take them in to post. mystery solved!
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

For fun, check out Jayson's entry in the contest this week.

If you're going the bubble route, you have to make a little stronger bubble than usual or at least that is what I have found. I take a plastic up (usually use an old Tanners Bar cup I have), fill it about 1/4 full of dish soap, then I add a couple table spoons of Karo, a table spoon of glycerine and then fill it about an inch from the top with water. Mix it well. I then take a straw and cut the bottom at an angle. That makes it really easy to place the bubbles where you want. Find a good background and shoot away. I shot the bubble in the contest with an 85mm and a 12mm extension tube this time around. I usually use my 100mm macro. If you wanted to make a video or timelapse, get a tripod set up and focus on a specific point where your blowing the bubble. When you blow the bubble you'll probably be blowing it in the same spot and usually takes about 5 or 6 bubbles popping before a nice cozy spot develops where they won't pop anymore.

If the storm comes in like they are predicting this will be a rare event. Here in OKC they are calling for -9 F on Monday and this will be an all time any day record low (at least back to 1848). Probably the same for where you are. The weathermen in this area are usually doom and gloom and sky falling chicken littles. They are so scared of missing a bad storm they over predict. What they are calling for now sounds like a Century event.

My suggestion is you invest in a set of Carhart's and Thermals. Make sure you are prepared for power outages for a a few days. Stay warm. Our local governments are not as well prepared to handle this as those up north.

Tips for Snow and Ice photography?

thanks Brant and Jayson, the bubble pics are amazing, i may give it a try if the snow works out right and i can find a backdrop that will work for it. thanks for the how-to Jayson, i'll try it with both lenses and see what looks best.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If the storm comes in like they are predicting this will be a rare event. Here in OKC they are calling for -9 F on Monday and this will be an all time any day record low (at least back to 1848). Probably the same for where you are. The weathermen in this area are usually doom and gloom and sky falling chicken littles. They are so scared of missing a bad storm they over predict. What they are calling for now sounds like a Century event.

My suggestion is you invest in a set of Carhart's and Thermals. Make sure you are prepared for power outages for a a few days. Stay warm. Our local governments are not as well prepared to handle this as those up north.
    thanks Rick, i never trust the weather folks much as most of the time their wrong anyway haha, it is gonna get colder though and i'm used to getting to freezing temps, not temps in the single digits! we ain't built for this haha, but the biggest concern was my water pipes and animals, but i got those handled and the animals setup too, the hardest part is going out that first time in the morning to break the ice in their waters

got plenty of food and am setup in case of power loss, my power company just trimmed the trees all along the lines a few months ago, so that helps.

Hope you and your family stay safe And warm Rick!
    Last edited by Zach; 02-15-2021 at 12:26 AM.

was on my way back home and saw a peach tree in full bloom on the side of the road, took a closer look and saw this

the fact that almost none of the petals are drooping is shocking to me! just goes to show how fast it froze.

Frozen in Time by Zach, on Flickr
    Cold Bloom by Zach, on Flickr

For me it's all about keeping warm! Fingers and toes (especially fingers) are the first to go. I have electrically heated gloves and they are the cat's pajamas. I learned that on my tripod I have to use low-temperature grease to keep the leg locks from seizing. And of course a spare battery in a warm place is mandatory. I carry a rocket blower in case my lens gets fogged up... that's about the best way to fix it.

Mostly though, when it's cold out, I just prefer to go biking! In fact I've been doing a lot of that lately, so sorry for the lack of photos. Here's my cold-weather setup:

It was -30 C but with the bright sunshine and no wind it was a dream day out there.

Stay warm and stay safe!

How are you guys holding up? The news makes it sound pretty bad.