Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Image of the Week #9

2021 - Image of the Week #9

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 9 entry period will be from Monday, February 22nd through/including Sunday, February 28th.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-27-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Velvet Axis
    Young Axis Buck by Zach, on Flickr
    John 3:16
    My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/191336345@N02/
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Painted sunset

Painted sunset
    by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr
    This is a try at enhancing the colors in a sunset photograph taken in 2019.

Nuthatch Launch

Snickerdoodle
    Snickerdoodle by Deer Creek Photography, on Flickr
    Canon T5(1200D) Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 MACRO. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

"Setting Moon"

Setting moon by cls-70, on Flickr

"Ogunquit Wave"

537A2584 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Hmmm. Tough choice.

Zach. For the deer photo, I have no idea how you have more visible here than when you click through the Flickr. That's just odd. Your recent shots have a strong noise reduction and sharpening applied, and it's doing weird things to the trees in this shot. The snickerdoodle is also very sharpened, but doesn't cause anything weird in the background this time. I like it.

Danny. Nice sunset, and a nice strong silhouette of the coast. Wish there was a bit more red to the sky or some other stand-out feature in the image, an iconic building, or some more clouds catching light or something. Seems to be a lot of empty blue... but that could work nicely as something like a postcard shot with the sky giving lots of room for location text or logo.

Joel. Nice catch of some action. Assuming it was a fraction of the frame because you usually don't post such small images.

Claes. A very European Castle look with the angled bricks on the tower. Unfortunate very flat lighting on it, unlike the smaller yellow building. The moon being full, lacks any crater shadows to give is some character, so to me, despite the title, the tower feels like the subject and the flat lighting removes a lot.

Brant. Some coastline action with the waves crashing into the rocks. Fast shutter to catch the wave crisp rather than going for the smoothed blur look. Wish there was something else of interest in the frame though. It's just not grabbing me. I'm probably overly picky what what I enjoy in a landscape shot.

Having a hard time deciding between Snickerdoodle, and Painted Sunset. I'll give the nod to Painted Sunset though, because I believe Zach won last week, and I know I have a bias towards fuzzy over landscapes. If I'm having a hard time not just giving it to the dog, then it means the landscape must be pretty good. Congrats Danny.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 03-02-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Congrats Danny!

yeah David on the deer shot the raw had the same thing going on in the background too(not sure why), i didn't notice it was as bad as it was because i was too focused on the deer, this got pointed out to me on flickr and i could not fix it so i cropped it instead and just replaced the shot there, this one had been on here a few days so i felt like changing it then would have been odd...

plus i'm still getting used to my new Photo software...

p.s i added no sharpness to the dog shot, just a mild denoise and made it mono. it was shockingly just that sharp.
    Last edited by Zach; 03-02-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Congrats Danny!

As for the wave, yep...lower angle, closer crop so the wave was more of a subject. Plus the light was pretty meh. A mermaid. Several things could have made it a more interesting shot. But, it was the best I took this past week.