Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NOOOO!!!! The 200mm f/2.0 is discontinued!!!!!

Call me nostalgic, but I have always wanted to shoot the 600mm f/4 IS and own it for a little bit. It was one of those lenses I only dreamed of owning for well over a decade. And even shooting it on older digital bodies like the 1D III and 1DS III. Just for giggles, I think it would be fun anyway.

I am quite sure you would love it

Just a rumor...but discontinue the EF 200 f/2 IS.....and the rumored RF replacement is here. Plus a lot of other large white lenses.

WHOA!!!! Hang on to your hat! (and credit card)

An RF 600mm f/4, 800 f/5.6 and RF 1200 f/8 yikes.......

If the 1200 can take teleconverters then the 1.4 TC would give you 1680mm at f/11 and if you engage the 1.6 crop factor the field of view would be similar to a 2688mm lens.

They are really pushing folks to the mirrorless side.

Still no RF 600mm f/4 DO -
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 03-12-2021 at 10:44 PM.

My main curiosity is when then they will release them.

I have my doubts about the 1200mm f/8 if there is no patents. But I wouldn't nessarily be surprised if they did release a lens like that eventually.

Or, better yet. A 1200mm f/5.6. It be hugely expensive, unless they ditch the fluorite and use more economical glass and design. It still be ridiculously expensive, just not 150k/200k expensive!

I mean they do make 85k cinema lenses, if they make a cinema version, to offset some of the development and production costs. It potentially could make for enough customer base to justify making the lens, definitely a bragging rights thing for Canon.

I still want an AF 50mm f/1.0 and put Leica and Nikon in their place! I'd pay through my nose if they made an insane lens like that. And it might just push me over the edge to go mirrorless.....
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 03-13-2021 at 04:08 AM.

Actually, I shouldn't have said, "just a rumor"....the rumor is based on a patent application. So, the design for these lenses exists and a patent has been applied for. There was a previous rumor a few months back that the 2021 lens road map included 400, 500, 600, 800, and 1200 mm super telephotos. The patent applications for the 200 and 300 mm are new, but not that surprising. Many patent applications that are dug up are never produced, but, that said, if there is a new lens, it is usually shortly after someone digs up the patent application. So, stay tuned. Currently, they are still talking about holding the Olympics in Japan this summer, Canon is a sponsor. Great opportunity to release some interesting gear like this.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-13-2021 at 11:07 AM.

100%

I do find it interesting the thought of a 1200mm f/8. Definitely would fit my style of shooting.

Obviously I always dream of an opportunity to own even the old 1200mm f/5.6. It is a beyond insane lens. Incredibly expensive. But I like lenses like that.

One day if the circumstances are right I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.