Thread: Photography in Everglades and Keys

Photography in Everglades and Keys

Last year we had a trip planned to Costa Rica. Literally, things started shutting down the Monday before we were supposed to travel. As we were past the cancellation point at the hotel, we decided to push the trip off until March 2021 as that would be fine, right?

So, a couple of months ago we made the call to push off the hotel credit in Costa Rica until 2022. Instead, we elected to stay State-side and booked a trip to Key Largo. While both of us have received the vaccine (1st dose), we are still planning on treating this trip very similar to what we did in Yellowstone/Teton NPs last year, car bubbles, avoid crowds, no indoor restaurants, etc.

Key Largo was picked for its proximity to the Keys and Everglades National Park, as I have wanted to spend more time in the Upper Keys and have never been to Everglades NP.

Any thoughts or suggestions on places to photograph in the Everglades or Upper Keys? Gear to take (I've seen conflicting recommendations online)? Is Big Cypress worth a day or leave that for a future trip? Landscapes and wildlife will be my goals. Out of the trip, two days will be "photography" oriented with at least one of those days being dedicated to a drive to Flamingo.

BTW, I did find this previous thread.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Upper keys is worthless for photo except for either underwater or sunsets which are what they are. - I have been hankering for an Everglades/Big Cypress trip. An associate from Miami (nikon guy) and I have been pondering a everglades effort.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

There are several boardwalks in the Everglades that offer chances for birds and gators

Anhinga trail is usually pretty good

There are also numerous boat tours to choose from .... everything from canoes, kayaks to air boats.

I did a day trip with rental canoe service years ago that was fun ... before I was in to bird photography.

(bring some uber mosquito repellant .... they can bite through blue jeans down there)

Thanks for the tips.

When thinking about gear, my debate is on the telephoto side of the lenses. I found it odd that a couple of people, seemingly with wildlife in mind, recommended a 70-200 f/2.8. Is that for the f/2.8? Others referenced needing all the reach that you can get. So, I am trying to decide which telephoto lenses I take, as I could do any of the 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 II, or the 500 f/4.

We visited the Keys in January 2020. Windley Key State Park was good for a quiet "walk in the woods". The old quarry there lets you see some of the geology of the keys.

There was nothing dramatic about the vegetation or wildlife to photograph, but some of the trees such as gumbo limbo, mangrove, and mahogany are quite different from Michigan or other temperate forests.

Danny Watson