Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Global ILC market share, which is assessed by a major Japanese market research firm and usually published in one of the Japanese financial papers (Nikkei or Financial Times), then picked up by various photo websites. The report comes out in late summer for the prior calendar year, so definitely a lagging indicator. That was the source for Canon gaining a relative 13% of the MILC market over Sony in 2020 (a 6% gain for Canon and a 7% loss for Sony). For overall ILC, Sony gained a bit over 2%, Canon closer to 4%.
    You pointed out the Pandemic, of course that data is from 2020 and in 2021 the world economy was in a totally different position. It appears by Sony's financials they have a strong come back from 2020. I guess we will see this summer if there is a change in trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    As for "best"....it really is subjective. Starting with why do people like what they like? I mean, are you going to tell a guy that drives a truck that a Porche is better than his truck? I think we can talk about characteristics and what might be best for specific needs....but that is a different discussion.
    A friend drives a 911 Turbo S and I drive a Raptor. The subject has never come up.

I think you analogy would be better if two people were debating Tesla's new Cybertruck vs Fords F-150 Lightning (a Ford vs Tesla debate). Personally I like the specs of the GMC Hummer EV Pickup, but have grown to dislike Government Motors GM. Which is "best" for a particular application?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Droooooool. I'm still going to hold out for the mythical R1, whenever it materializes. While the R3 would be more than enough for me, I can't stand the thought that there will be something better just around the corner. It's a bit of an affliction I have... perhaps you're familiar with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Droooooool. I'm still going to hold out for the mythical R1, whenever it materializes. While the R3 would be more than enough for me, I can't stand the thought that there will be something better just around the corner. It's a bit of an affliction I have... perhaps you're familiar with it?
    Haha...no doubt. I have to admit little pangs of pain as I watched the AF box track across the screen faster than what I see with my R5 only to have Sabine confirm she thought the R3 was more responsive, had faster AF than the R5 or R6. I am also not surprised, as there are going to be advantages of the higher end body.

But....my R5 is so good. It does make not having an R3 much easier. ....for now.

Total GAS issues. R1 will have to be pretty darn awesome to pull me away from the R5. I am very happy w/ the R5 at the moment.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Total GAS issues. R1 will have to be pretty darn awesome to pull me away from the R5. I am very happy w/ the R5 at the moment.
    You're quite right! But there are a few things I would love to have in a mythical R1:
    - large format battery (same one the R3 has)
    - dual CF Express slots (instead of SD for the second card)
    - Slightly fewer MPs than the R5. 30-35 would be ideal.
    - Great big huge buffer for > 2 minutes of continuous shooting at > 15 fps with mechanical shutter.

Let the GAS continue.......

A regional camera store that has a shop in my state has had the R3 on its website several time over the last few months. Last one a few weeks ago, another appeared today. They seem to be trickling in.

I went ahead and bought one. I have been thinking about getting one lately, so I went ahead and bought it.

I haven't been to excited about certain aspects of the R5's performance, and it is areas the R3 should excel at.
    The real kicker for me is changing lenses. I have always had two bodies, one on the telephoto and another that is walk around. If you own a compliment of RF lenses it doesn't make sense to have the 5DsR or 1D IV. Changing back and forth is a pain.

I need to unload most of my EF lenses and bodies.

Congrats on the new gear. Hope you enjoy.

Well I guess there is a new firmware that allows you to shoot 195fps in RAW on the R3.

So my question is, for how long? I know it said between 2 and 50. So does that mean it can capture up to 50 frames like that?

Either way I still am not quite sure how to process that and how I would find it useful. My first instinct is I rarely need more than 15 let alone 195!!!!! But I'm trying to keep an open mind but to me I really have to question how useful this is. Kinda like 800,000 ISO on a 1Dx III. I mean yeah it's there, but not super useful.

Anyway, I kinda dismiss it. But what do you guys thing of it? Anyone with the R3 want to take a crack at it?