Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

Haha. The texts, emails and thread posts weren’t enough?? Needed a phone call. Ok. Next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, confirmed that the R3 will have the trackpad AF-ON buttons. Great feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been playing in the backyard with squirrels and birds.

Trying to figure out the servo autofocus, doesnt seem to grab what I want all the time.

Also selecting the autofocus point requires me tobuse middle finger on the shutter to have enough travel for my thumb to select.

Any hints?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Several people have found it very beneficial to have two buttons set to back button AF. I have the AF-ON button set to Eye-AF. But then the * button is spot AF. Depending on my mode, I have the trigger set to expanded AF, but several modes are back button AF only. What is nice is that if you are holding one of the back buttons, that mode will override the trigger.

In short, the AF system still follows algorithms that seem to favor closer subjects. That is for sure, but I feel that it also favors high contrast/brighter subjects. But, bottom line, in full auto mode it will grab onto some subjects that are not your intended target. In these instances I either quickly switch to spot AF (quick movement of my thumb from one button to the next) or I train the camera as to what I want it to focus on using Spot AF, then I switch back to Eye-AF to nail the eye.

As to how to program the buttons, two methods. I tend to toggle the info button until the Q mode settings are displayed, then hit the Q button and select the back of camera icon. This brings you to the customize button menu, scroll down and set AF-On to Eye-AF, and then * is set to AF (but when making this selection, you can hit the info button that that lets you select spot AF).

So, that is how I do it. I have seen several videos where others have similar set ups (Jan Wegener, Whistling Wings Photography, etc).

Perfect. Mapped the M-Fn to be the mode... habit from the 1d.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I tried back button focus for quite a while but have returned to the standard half press shutter method

On my R5 I have the AF on set to activate animal eye tracking and then the big SET wheel programmed to scroll through the other focus area choices.

The * button I use to bring up the selection of crop modes. I tend to go back and forth between Full and 1.6 Crop rather frequently.

I also have 2 Custom shooting modes programmed: one for perched birds and one for flight.

I use the Mode button in the small thumb wheel or the Q button and touch screen to change modes.

https://www.adorama.com/car3.html

Well, it's technically a listed item. No extra information but at least we can window shop.

And I guess we now have a solid price.

If this has 45 mp as many suspect not sure how this is not better in absolutely every way to the 1DX III except MABYE AF performance since they are saying it is supposedly not a 1-series body. But then again it could be referring to the upcoming R1 instead.

Either way I suspect this will destroy the 1DX III! And the 1DX III was the most insane body I have ever used. I honestly had regrets returning it, but I know the R3 will just make more sense.

Never underestimate the fun factor of window shopping and the anticipation of a possible new toy.

Reminds me when I was window shopping the 1D II or 1DS II.

Does that date me?! HAHA.

https://ymcinema.com/2021/06/07/can-...amera-to-date/

Just a little more tid bits of info on the R3. I'm really curious about this body.

Well, by the looks of it. Canon's R3 only has 24mp.

I think it's really disappointing for a 6k body in this day and age to have that little. Today to achieve 50mp at 30fps is child's play at this price point.

I don't know about you. But seems like Canon really wants to lose everyone to Nikon and, cough cough, Sony?

They really must think photographers are still stuck in 2008 or something when the 1Ds III had 21mp....