Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

While it is really fun and exciting to have the cutting edge technology its not necessary to make fine images. I myself went for R5 and have enjoyed it immensely but my son is making extraordinary images with my old 1DMKIV and a version I 500mm f/4L lens. I kinda miss the 1.3 crop sensor .... made a lot of sense for birders.

I am most likely going to skip the R3 but I don't know about the R1

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I am most likely going to skip the R3 but I don't know about the R1
    Ooooh yah it will be hard not to jump on the R1 when it finally comes out. I can definitely give the R3 a miss, having the 1DX3. But maybe it's a good thing that the R1 is still a couple of years away .

Agreed, you do not have to have the latest and greatest.

I know I loved the AF of the 1Dx III, I don't love the AF of my friends R5. Eye AF was just not consistent enough for me to use it. VS the 1Dx III never missed.

This right here was worth it to me. I HATE it when you nail a good shot and it's slightly OOF. Even if you shoot extra shots, the smile can get tired and look off or the subject moves ect. So getting a virtually 100% hit rate has been a huge boon for me.

Definitely makes my 1Ds III feel old. It still takes great looking shots, but the 1Dx III definitely made better images and much more consistently. And I still use fast frame rates for portraits. Not for everything, and I probably don't need 30. But for kids on a swing for example. My 1Ds III has a much harder time. Why I still have the 1D III.

I think I might consider the 1Dx III on the used market. You can snag them for 5K. And when the R3 comes out I suspect it will drop even more over time.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 10-03-2021 at 05:27 AM.

I might pick one up

Bit of a debate, I may have 1-2 trips next year that will be more photo expedition oriented. I will want two bodies in action. I did not like flipping back to the 5DIV at Laguna Seca. So, my debate is R3 and get it early enough I can familiarize myself with it, or buy/rent a second R5. The 1DXIII does slip into the conversation, but when bouncing from one body to the other, having more similar between the two seems like a good thing.

As for the R1: I am not sure Canon is going to go the high MP/high FPS route others seem to think. For starters, that just feels more like Sony than Canon. When I think about an R1, releasing it with a global shutter, quadpixel AF, AF calcs 120 times per second (or higher), dual CFE card slots, etc just feels more like what Canon would do. 8K video spec is the big question that could drive the R1 to a high MP camera, IMO. If they do, there will be a sacrifice in terms of FPS. There will be a trade off. 30 MB for the R3 and 30 FPS is 900 MB/sec which is already ~2x the ~500 MB/sec CFE Type B cards are actually performing at. Unless Type B gets more efficient or Canon goes CFE Type C, they just are not going to be able to get much past that 900 MB/sec limitation with buffers allowing us to shoot 900-1200 MB/sec in bursts and the files write at ~500 MB/sec. So, I am expecting 15-20 FPS at high MP or lower MP and 30 FPS. Considering where the R3 was placed, I am thinking 40-45 MP and 20 FPS with Canon telling us "we talked to the Pros and for non-sports, 30 FPS was not necessary."

All that said, JW is getting great images with the 1D IV and MKI 500 f/4. So, you know, what do we really need?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    All that said, JW is getting great images with the 1D IV and MKI 500 f/4. So, you know, what do we really need?
    Ha ha when did "need" ever enter into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I did not like flipping back to the 5DIV at Laguna Seca.
    I used the R5 hand held for flight with the RF100-500 and kept my 5DIV tripod mounted with the EF 600 f/4L.....I rather enjoyed that strategy although I certainly understand the logic of using two bodies with similar controls: much less likely to miss something fiddling with the camera.

Bryan has posted some noise tests. Here is a downsampled R5 vs the R3 at ISO 25,600. Overall, there does seem to be an improvement...playing around, I'd call it less than a stop, but still very nice.

Canon has published the manual for the R3.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C010/

Comparing 25k ISO to 12k ISO of the R6. The R3 is holding it's own with it resolving the numbers even slightly better. Probably due to the extra resolution.

All in all a solid stop to my eyes. Which is no easy feat as the 1Dx III/R6 already had very clean files to begin with.

All in all the new sensor tech looks fantastic. Now they need to release the high res big brother the R1! I am just imagining 45 mp (Or more) with this new sensor tech. Oh so good.

For anyone wanting an RRS plate/bracket, it’s available for preorder.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BR3