Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

Nice that the L bracket is modular.

The R5 L bracket isn't. I am thinking of switching to just a regular base plate on camera and only using the L-bracket when I am headed out for landscape photography. While it works, the range of motion of the flip out screen is limited by the current L-bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    While it works, the range of motion of the flip out screen is limited by the current L-bracket.
    That’s true for the RRS EOS R bracket, as well. With the 1D X, I usually left the upright section off but I need a base plate because that’s how I attach my BlackRapid strap. I’d attach the upright when bringing a tripod. Plus, having the hex key stored in the base came in handy lots of times.

People are reporting that local retailers have stock, so B&H / Adorama probably do, too. Release is supposed to be Friday morning, which is consistent with Canon’s estimated Nov 26th ship date. Here’s hoping Black Friday is matte with a textured grip.

Ha!

Sounds like Christmas coming early, just the day after Thanksgiving....

My B&H order is now Processing.

With production models of the R3 now out there, it was only a matter of time before more details analysis of it's performance came out. DXOMark was earlier this week and proclaimed the R3 "Best Low-light Performer". This sounds good, but it doesn't take much analysis to understand they are really talking about ~1/3rd of a stop improvement (if that). The measurements are still interesting.

DPreview has their studio comparison tool up.

Whistling Wings Photography released a pretty glowing review of the R3, but hasn't yet compared it to the R5 with the 1.5 firmware update. I'll be curious when he does. My two big takeaways from his review were that 1) He was actually just ok with 24 MP. He'd like more, but the trade offs were worth it; and 2) Those tradeoffs were more about non-IQ things, like AF, EVF start up time, buffer, the stickiness of the AF, etc. But someone doing bird photography in real world is very impressed compared to the R5. Interesting.

But, the one I've been waiting for, photons to photos just added the R3.....and...really not that different from the R5/R6/1Dx III. Maybe something like less than a 1/3rd stop improvement in DR at high ISO, at lower ISOs they switch off. The shadow improvement chart tells the same story in a bit more clearly. This includes slightly improved read noise () at higher ISO. Looking at all those, you can see where the R5 has a single shift in the line, indicating a dual gain sensor, the R3 actually has 2 shifts....(EDIT...Looking into what this means.)

Photons to Photos also analyses DXO data, the R3 does make a slight jump in Quantum Efficiency (conversion of light to readout), up to 68% where Canon had been in the 55-58% range. The full well capacity is the highest I've ever seen by a wide margin (may be great for highlights), if these hold true (always some issue with one group interpreting anothers data, just look at the R5...initially DXO has issues with their R5 data, I assume PtP is using that in their analysis here at that data is whack).

So, there you go. Some interesting stuff. The BSI sensor seems to be giving us a modest gain in QE, but perhaps is being best used for faster sensor read out. Canon seems to be moving to multiple gain channels which will help limit noise at higher ISOs. There is reason to think the R3 might be a bit better in highlight recovery and at higher ISO.

Everything says great IQ, but maybe only a tick better than R5/R6/1DXIII. So, the improvements in the R3 will come from other stuff: such as 30 fps at 14 bit, AF "stickiness," eye-controlled AF, sensor read rate (1/180th of a sec), AF frequency (60 /sec vs 20 /sec on R5), EVF start up time, etc.

Finishing with a great quote from Bryan's review:

With each new high-end camera iteration, it becomes more difficult to be happy with the newfound annoyances (additional steps or efforts required to get the same job done) of the older models, and the R3 brings out those inadequacies of the other models.

Or, in my summation, I am not sure we should expect significant improvements in IQ until something significant happens with sensor tech. But, all these other improvements is making taking pictures easier and easier. Doors are being opened not by a 0.1 stop improvement in DR, but having 30 fps, and AF that tracks a subject's eye.

Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-10-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks for the excellent summation, Brant!

Well comparing the DP review images, the differences really shrink. I am having the darndest time telling them apart! I also compared them with the R3 reduced to 1Dx III dimensions and I can't tell them apart with my eyes.

Detail is better with the R3 at full resolution, which is nice. But not game changing.

Big thing is actually using them side by side and post processing them. But even then I doubt the difference would be huge.

All in all just like it has been said, IQ is marginally better. But everything else that makes the picture taking better is promising to be very good.

And one nice perk you are actually $500 less.

The other aspect of it is the RF 85mm f/1.2 is an incredible lens by all accounts. Having used it at the wedding it definitely is much faster focusing and much sharper. Which is huge deal for weddings and portraits. So it's not just about the camera all the time but the lenses you can use.

If image quality between the R3 and the 1DX III were identical, I think the real benefit simply comes down to getting 50% more shots on target within the same time period, leading to better imagery through better-timed shots. I'd take that.

With IQ not being that much different it does make me feel better about just getting one of those used till the R1 comes out.

Of course I say that not ever using the R3!

But I feel like since I'm pretty happy with the EF line up for now, I don't have to have 30fps. I don't see a big enough reason to jump RF. And of course I can't stand the R5 AF. It drives me up the wall the AF. And it's not for lack of trying. Even my good friend says the 1Dx III far exceeds anything his R5 can do. So the only high resolution option for RF is out for me.

I feel like the R1 will be the camera by which all other pro stuff will by judged and hopefully be a lot like the 1Ds III, a no compromise option for pro shooters that need to get the shot with high resolution.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 12-18-2021 at 07:45 PM.