Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

Canon R3

So...everyone expecting an R1...what does Canon do, announce the R3. 1D build quality, 30 fps, eye-AF functionality, and that is about all that is known at this time. From what I can tell, not only is it enhanced eye-AF, but also AF that will focus on where your eye is looking. This feature has never been too appealing to me as my thought is that I tend to look around the frame assessing the composition. But, maybe you can use your eye to lock the autofocus point on something and then you can look around the frame to ensure composition.

Anyway, fancy new toy coming soon.

Is it a 3 because the AF still isn't on par with the a 1D yet?
    In every other aspect it may be.

Looks like an amazing camera.

I already owned the 1DX III, bought it brand new for $6500 plus tax. But ended up returning it.

Ultimately it was the most amazing camera I ever used. But with the new release of the R3 and R1 coming soon. It just didn't make sense to keep it.

If the price comes down significantly though with these new releases then maybe I'll buy it again.

I don't particularly have a need for extreme high resolution. But still, when you pay this much for a body I won't say no to some high resolution options.

My assumption is that the R3 is the Pro Model there have been rumors of releasing.
    An R1 may be a few years away yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Is it a 3 because the AF still isn't on par with the a 1D yet?
    In every other aspect it may be.
    I am very curious as Canon does a great job identifying markets and niches. What I wonder is if they have seen a divergence in "prosumers" and "pros" mostly along the lines of MPs. Or maybe "hybrid" video/stills. But I can see a split between high and low MPs, and then some new technology that has been showing up in patents such as quad pixel AF, global shutter, etc. I am just not sure which will be the R1 and which will be the R3, so I am waiting to see more specs for the R3.

For example, if Canon has concluded that there is enough working professionals that do not need more than 20 MP, I could see one of these cameras as 20-30 MP to minimize workflow, but then the other being 60-80 MP for those Pros/Prosumers that feel they want or need that many MPs.

Then, the R1 also gets the latest and best tech.

Canon clearly stated the R3 will slot in between the R5 and the 1DXIII. I own the R5 and had the 1DX III in for a test. There is not as much difference, IMO, as some might think. Mostly in the batteries, IMO (and that fancy AF-on button). So, I expect the R3 to be pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    My assumption is that the R3 is the Pro Model there have been rumors of releasing.
    An R1 may be a few years away yet.
    I am leaning this direction as well. 1DXIII and R5 in 2020. R3 in 2021. It really depends on how different the markets are that they are targetting, but I would think they'd wait 2 years after the R3, so R1 maybe in 2023?

Last week I had the R5 in the cart, but they were out of adaptors.
    Lucky for me the announcement came, I think I will wait and see what the R3 offers.

I think we may see the R3 comparable to the Sony Alpha 1 and then the R1 surpass Sony in some ways. It will be tempting even for R5 owners.

The currently announced super tele RF glass is not very tempting to me since I have excellent EF versions of those lenses ..... I am holding out for an RF 600mm DO with built in 1.4 TC !!!!!

Good times ahead for Canon shooters.

I forgot to mention, this will be Canon's first Back Side Illuminated (BSI) sensor. A few other manufacturers (Sony, maybe others) introduced these a few years ago and BSI appear to give them a bit more DR/efficiency boost. Yet, the R5 came along, and it's non-BSI sensor actually outperforms the Sony BSI sensors. So, I am really curious to see the numbers and if BSI gives Canon a boost as well.

With that said, I really have no qualms with the R5 sensor. Maybe it could have a bit more highlight recovery. Maybe. I mean, I've seen that in videos, but have not experienced it personally. But my progression from the 7D, to 5DIII, 5DIV, and now the R5....really, the 5DIII sensor, as lambasted as it was, is great. I did occasionally see banding, but I think it only affected a few images. If I had issues due to something with the 5DIV sensor, I am not recalling them at this moment. And, the R5, what strikes me is how good the images are out of camera. That, and it is easier to edit the images.

What would be amazing would be an improvement in noise at higher ISO, but as all camera manufacturers are essentially converging to similar points, I am not sure that is possible. So, we'll see.

Rick...don't blame you at all for waiting on an R3, but, for what it is worth, I doubt you would have been disappointed with the R5.

I sure like where this new product development is going. I'm very happy to keep playing with my 1DXIII for the time being, but when the time comes it's good to know that there will be an equivalent (or probably better) mirrorless pro body available. Still, I think I'm going to miss the OVF. Sorta like how I would still prefer to drive a car with a manual transmission, if it was actually available as an option.

Just rented an R5 w/ the 70-200 and 24-105. Well. Kayaker72.... how is it you didn't call me up and tell me to go get it????

This is amazing. Having said that, will have to see what the R3 is. From amazing to???

Yea, and get some really big memory cards.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911