Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Canon R3

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    Well I guess there is a new firmware that allows you to shoot 195fps in RAW on the R3.

So my question is, for how long? I know it said between 2 and 50. So does that mean it can capture up to 50 frames like that?

Either way I still am not quite sure how to process that and how I would find it useful. My first instinct is I rarely need more than 15 let alone 195!!!!! But I'm trying to keep an open mind but to me I really have to question how useful this is. Kinda like 800,000 ISO on a 1Dx III. I mean yeah it's there, but not super useful.

Anyway, I kinda dismiss it. But what do you guys thing of it? Anyone with the R3 want to take a crack at it?
    Way ahead of you, I was already on it.

50 shots taken at a single click at 195 fps. When I selected the 195 it said 1/2 second worth of photos. Shooting L + RAW writing to two cards I had about 4 second of buffer lag. When you touch it, there is no shutter noise it is just done. In a few minutes I will post a pic from my flicker account. I was shooting spot auto focus, eye detect , animal and tracking. I am in AF setting 4. The pictures are at 1/1000 and ISO 10,000 f/2.8 so not ideal. The AF didn't track in the 50 frames. First frame in focus last the dogs butt.

Still 195 fps is insane.

Look for yourself, follow the pic for the series.

0K1A2196 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 07-23-2022 at 02:10 AM.

Yeah, that is pretty crazy. Definitely curious to hear your thoughts after using it some more and how it can be useful. I can see this perhaps more useful with say a bird on a perch and trying to get an exact moment or a humming bird. I think it is safe to say that pupper is better served with 30fps and AF. But it is there so might as well use it when you can. On a side note the puppy is SOOO dang cute!

Yeah, that is pretty crazy. Definitely curious to hear your thoughts after using it some more and how it can be useful. I can see this perhaps more useful with say a bird on a perch and trying to get an exact moment or a humming bird. I think it is safe to say that pupper is better served with 30fps and AF. But it is there so might as well use it when you can. On a side note the puppy is SOOO dang cute!
    That cute comes with allot of work. I made the mistake of taking two of these babies home and they are twice the work.

The bird on a perch was the first thing I thought of. One of the photos I like to take is when the bird takes off. Cameras have a hard time with the AF moving when the bird goes so in the past I would set the focus up and hope to catch a shot in focus as it passes through. With 50 frames in a half second you should have a few. If you had great light and a wider DOF the tracking issue wouldn't be a as bad. If you have watched playback reviews on any sport it is always hard to pin point the exact moment a shot leaves a hand. Imagine with this you take a shot of your favorite QB throwing or NBA star shooting and you have the exact moment the ball is on his finger tips leaving his hand.

But I have to say, the R3 is a most impressive camera.

There is a feature on some cameras that actually captures some frames that happened before you pressed the shutter ... not sure what they call this .... but comes in very handy when trying to capture something like a bird leaving it's perch. I think some Olympus models and some Nikon models have this.

Joel, that's got to eat the battery. Essentially continuous shooting to memory while the shutter is half pressed, throwing away the oldest ones to make room for the newer ones, and writing them out to card only when the shutter is pressed. I guess you learn not to lean on the shutter as much.

I'm guessing it would be a mirrorless only feature. Even then, I'm assuming mirrorless still does AF and tracking with a wide open aperture. So this would either have pre-shutter shots wide open, or would switch into a mode where the focus and tracking are working with the aperture pre-constricted (what's the right term here?), and receiving less light... so likely best (or only available) for non-servo shooting.

Still, could be useful. No idea what they call it, but to be consistent it should be called shutter release bracketing, which means that's definitely not what it's called.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The M6 II has “RAW burst mode” that does this. It is a half or full second that it records before you take the actual picture and then you can hold it down and collect images until buffer is full.

A bit clunky as I’ve tried it in that it creates a massive file that you then go into to select an image and you essentially export those selected images from the larger file. But you can see where the are going with it. I suspect it will be fully implemented soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw on my FB feed from the Digital Picture that they pulled the firmware update. That is very strange.

Just saw on my FB feed from the Digital Picture that they pulled the firmware update. That is very strange.
    Probably because of the false advertising. No matter how hard you try you will never shoot more than 50fps with it.
    Also the in camera information lies. It says 50 shots at 195 fps in .26 seconds. That math comes out to 192.3 fps.

Maybe they are adding a function to make it track through the shot. That would be great.

Good points, if they could add AF tracking that be crazy. Although I'm pretty certain that is physically impossible at 192 fps. It's processing power is pretty well maxed out just dealing with taking pics and getting really close to the max read out speeds as it is.

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think you can do it. Probably could with lower FPS though.

So I guess in another statement from Canon Europe I believe. There is a bug with the update and it can disable the control dial if you reset the camera. Something like that anyway.

But they said that the feature would be coming back. Which is good news.