Thread: RF 100 macro, 400 and 600 Supertele

RF 100 macro, 400 and 600 Supertele

So, Canon had a lot of announcements yesterday. Not only the development announcement of the R3, but also new RF lenses including the RF 100 f/2.8 macro and then the RF 400 f/2.8 and RF 600 f/4. The Big whites seem to be versions of the EF 400/600 Mk III in an RF mount. The biggest advantage I have seen go by is that you get a bit more IS with the additional communication between lens and camera body and IBIS.

The RF 100 f/2.8 macro does seem like something new. 1.4:1 macro, so it is showing images larger than the current EF version (1:1). But also "SA" control, which lets you dial in and have a level of control over the bokeh. Nice feature. I already use my EF 100 f/2.8 L as a portrait lens, so I can see that being a very nice addition.

But, at least for me...it is the rumored RF200-500 f/4 that has my attention. I have not yet bought an RF lens as I am waiting to see what Canon comes out with so I can better build my kit. If that has a reasonable weight and top end IQ (and gets released ;-)), I can see that being a cornerstone lens to a future kit.

First thing I checked was the weight and length of the 600. I think you are right it is just a rehash of the existing 600mm.

And it says it "..provides up to 5.5 stops* of shake correction...". The EF version had 5 stops.
    "* Based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards. Testing performed using EOS R and R5 cameras"
    So you gain .5 stops.

The question is, what would be the benefit of buying a new RF 600m vs the EF 600mm III?
    .5 stops?
    You do not have to buy an adapter?

Any other reason? Performance the RF vs EF? IQ?

We'll have to wait on the IQ...but people are reporting...these are the same lens design. Just one with an EF mount and another with the RF mount.

See Bryan's take here.

So, you do not need to worry about an adapter...0.5 more stops.

As for AF performance, especially with extenders, maybe there is a benefit, but we'll have to see. But not a run out with credit card waving type of announcement, IMO.

Granted, someday, when my kit is all RF, I'll probably own the 100 f/2.8. That does look like a great lens.

I bought the 100mm f/2.8 macro 11 years ago when it was first released. Maybe it is an upgraded lens, new coatings etc.

That macro is most definedly on my list. Having 1.4x magnification, with proper shake correction and is very nice for handheld macros and then also having af lens for using R6's focus bracketing sounds very good for me.