Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1200mm f/5.6 L.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You are paying because it is an actual usable lens, not a telescope.

Telescopes have a larger market and it balances out the development and production costs.

This lens took over a year to grow the fluorite. It was made by hand. And there are extremely few produced. So hence cost will be exceptionally high.

It be like saying why is the Ziess Octus costs as much as it does compared to other very good offerings.

And telescopes are typically not designed for photographic use. So many times their Bokeh is not as nice and the way it renders an image might not be as good.

But in places like the Olympics, high profile news agencies ect. The cost of this lens is on the level of other extremely high end gear. And for some people, who are well heeled, it is a dream lens.

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/can...r-a-lens/:eek:

Ok, it's no secret I love this lens. But wow! That's unbelievably expensive for what it cost before!!!!!

As much as I want this lens, there is just no way I could pull myself to purchase it.

Maybe at these prices Canon might find it within their hearts to make one again for RF mount and make something that is not only for billionaires.

I would settle for somewhat lesser IQ if it could be made afforadbly. Well as affordable as it could ever be anyway. It's never gonna be cheap. But I could live with a 25k price tag. Maybe 50k if I really wanted it.

If I ever become rich I'll be giving you a ring.

But I'd have to have quite the disposable income for a half million dollar lens.