Thread: A new 50mm f/1.0????

A new 50mm f/1.0????

Well, after having all my gear stolen. A hefty insurance check later and rebuilding my setup. One lens I finally found on a great price was the 85mm f/1.2 II.

Needless to say, I have used this lens before and it is incredible the affects you can achieve with it. And after owning it for short while and taking plenty of portraits and messing around with it. I can't believe I didn't own this lens sooner. Oh yeah I know why, I didn't have the cash.

But we all knew that. It's an awesome beast of a lens.

What does this have to do with the 50mm f/1.0? Why couldn't it have been continued to be made. It shares a lot of similarities to the 85mm. You'd think some of the economics of making it would have been streamlined it enough to continue producing it. I guess not?

Case in point, Nikon has their insane 50mm f/0.95. It is manual focus but still an insane piece of optical engineering. Along with other extremely expensive options along with some very inexpensive options. Needless to say nowhere near as impressive.

But it begs the question. With a new mount and some insane RF lenses already being made and the market supporting extremely bespoke lenses. It parallels the introduction of the EF mount and Canon making impressive optics in order to show off what they can do. A new 50mm f/1.0 with AF from Canon would not be that crazy of an idea.

No doubt it be expensive. But definitely a unique time to be a photographer with optical and sensor technology better than it has ever been before. Especially if it could share some facets of the already magnificent RF 85mm f/1.2.

Something to dream about, all the ussual economics of supply and demand. But still not that far fetched really. In my mind anyway.

Right now I am looking at buying the already very old but still just as amazing 50mm f/1.0. A lot of down sides. But it is a niche and creative lens, so it doesn't get the same judgment and criticism from me as say a modern lens. It is a unique piece in my canvas.

But if a modern one would be made, I'd buy one no questions asked.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 08-04-2021 at 11:38 PM.