Thread: Color Calibrated Viewers--Viewing Photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, first, I had some issues just over a year ago. Re-calibrating my monitor fixed those. I started having issues again, and recalibrating my monitor did nothing. I am not exactly sure of the cause (color drift in my monitor is a guess, I did update some drivers to my GPU earlier, so ??). But the switch to "Windows Photo Viewer" is the solution. After doing some searches, I found references to the Photos app not being color corrected by the profile while "Windows Photo Viewer" is. At least, according to a few posts I found.

So, for years, using the Photos app was not problem. But this is easy enough to recreate as I can just reopen a recent image with the Photos app and take screen shots:

In Lightroom:
    Name:  sunrise LR.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  128.7 KB

In Photos App:
    Name:  Sunset Photos App.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  97.7 KB

Then when I post in Flickr, it would be similar to LR:
    537A2509 by kayaker72, on Flickr

So, I have actually, for a couple of weeks now, just been posting to Flickr even though my jpgs were off. I got frustrated with this yesterday morning and tried several things before coming across the concept that "Photos" app was not color corrected and "Windows Photo Viewer" was. I actually think I came across this awhile back but had forgotten. Anyway, it had never been an issue before, but, open the same pic in Windows Photo Viewer and:
    Name:  Sunrise Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  99.0 KB

Much better aligned with LR and Flickr. So, Windows Photo Viewer is now my default app for viewing my jpgs. I am not exactly sure what the problem was, whether a recent driver update altered something, if the colors on my monitor are drifting (very slight increasing trend on my deltaE, but as it is still within specs, this seems odd), etc. But, I found a solution that is working for now and shared just in case someone else comes across this.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-29-2021 at 12:27 PM.