Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Image of the Week #39

2021 - Image of the Week #39

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 39 entry period will be from Monday, September 20th through/including Sunday, September 26th.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-24-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Stone Creek Falls

"Morning Fog"

537A3364 by kayaker72, on Flickr

"Don't talk with your mouth full!" --- Pika from a hike we did today

Moonlight Orion

moonlight orion by Kari, on Flickr

Country Road (Infra Red)

Tough week for me to be the judge. As long-timer forum goers know, I much prefer critter pictures over landscapes, but we only have one critter, and its friend won last week. It is by far the cutest of the submissions. I've been here before, and opted to choose a landscape to be more fair to all the entrants, which itself is unfair to the critter. So...

If I can only choose one photo, it's the Pika. I've leaned towards a landscape the last few times out of fairness, it's only fair to occasionally go with my preference. Pika, I choose you.

If there can be a tie, I'll add "Stone Creek Falls". A nice shot of a unique curved waterfall. I could see that hanging on a wall somewhere. If I have a criticism, it's that the lighting seems a bit flat everywhere but under waterfall shelf, but perhaps that helps highlight the waterfall.

"Morning Fog" is a nice capture, but I think the view without as much fog would be a nicer view, too much is obscured for my taste. If there's a cabin up there with this view, the image would work on a wall there, but otherwise I'd rather have the clearer view. Often morning fogs are very low, sitting only a few feet above ground level. The height of the fog has me wondering if it's really smoke, and the black and white treatment is to help hide that. I could easily be wrong, but the fact that it springs to mind is a distraction from the image.

"Moonlight Orion" is tricky. I find the dark foreground lacks anything distinctive to help make the shot. On the other hand, the sky is exposed brightly, letting a lot of stars shine, but in this case, the normally dim background stars are bright enough that it's harder than usual to make out the stars of Orion (or atleast harder than what I can see from my yard).

"Country Road" I quite like. It's got a sort of beauty of an ice storm look, but with more foliage, and a clear road. Maybe you're driving in a dream. The hint of blue sky draws your eye away from the foliage though, which I think is primary subject matter. It was back and forth between this one and the waterfall as my landscape choice.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

"Wow I can't believe I won!!"

Thanks David for judging! I appreciate your honest bias . And great shots everyone!

2021 - Image of the Week #39

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    "Morning Fog" The height of the fog has me wondering if it's really smoke, and the black and white treatment is to help hide that. I could easily be wrong, but the fact that it springs to mind is a distraction from the image.
    thanks David. 'twas fog. It really impressed and surprised me. I was still standing outside a bit after sunrise and it just started boiling up out of a lower valley. You can see some of it to the lower right in this sunrise shot.

Name:  TDP-1.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  185.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    "Wow I can't believe I won!!"Thanks David for judging! I appreciate your honest bias . And great shots everyone!
    Great that we gave the Pika something to cheer about!!!

Congrats Jonathan!

Great photos everyone and thanks David for judging.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-27-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Great that we gave the Pika something to cheer about!!!
    Not sure how anyone could resist voting for the stuffed face, and the enormous whiskers.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L