Thread: Spend time with those you love.

Spend time with those you love.

Well, I'm sorry if this is not allowed. So if you feel that it is inappropriate, feel free to delete. But here goes nothing.

I don't know why I feel the need to post it here, maybe because I have been on this group longer than any other and it is a great bunch of people.

But my Uncle, my moms brother, pasted away this afternoon PST 9/20/21. While I didn't know him as well as I would like, my mom has regrets not spending as much time with him or talking with him over the phone as she would like. They lived out of state so it is understandable. But when it is a sibling, it's not fun. He was in his late 50's and him and his wife visited us a couple of years ago. Little before I got married. I will always cherish the time I knew George. I may got to his funeral, but it is short notice so we shall see.

But incase anyone was wondering cause of death, it was Covid. We knew he was on the ventilator the day before and he was kinda up and down battling it for a while. I had Covid and my whole family, my mom spent time in the hospital and came close to needing to be put on the ventilator as well. Thankfully she made it, only to pass it on to me a few months back. LOL. Back when getting the vaccine was hard unless you were high risk.

I will say, if anyone has any reservations about getting the vaccine. Do it! I have not just because I already had it and there are certain risk factors for me that wouldn't prohibit me from getting it. But having a history of allergic reactions to medications makes me leery but I may still get it anyway. I'll see what my doc says. It sucks so badly and you don't want this to happen to you. I wouldn't wish this on my enemy.

But back to the subject, spend time with those you love. Maybe someone you need to make amends. You never know when they are going to be ripped away from you in an instant.

I'm sorry about the rant. I'll be quiet now.

John.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 09-21-2021 at 06:57 AM.

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle John.

And I totally agree, having lost both parents, the time we spend with those we care about is never enough. Get good pictures...and video. You'll want both.

John - very sorry to hear. It's a tragically common scenario. And yes your advice to spend time with loved ones is spot on, and to make good use of our photo and video equipment at the same time.

John, very sorry to hear of your loss. This whole thing has definitely given me new perspective on spending time with your loved ones. Thank you for sharing.

Excellent advice John.

As an MD over the last 40 yrs I have seen that scene play out more times than I want to remember.

There truly is no guarantee of tomorrow.....carpe diem.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My sister was in the ICU for 6 weeks with Covid, but she pulled through. We value the time we now have even more.

Thank you all for your condolences. I did end up being the photographer for the funeral. I just volunteered as they had no one. Needless to say it was by far the hardest shoot I ever did. Just because of the emotional aspect. At one point I had to stop shooting and go to another room. Not fun.

Thankfully my awesome wife was there to help me. It was very difficult.

I'm glad I was there for it, it's never anything anyone likes to do. But I have I no regrets and now they have some decent pics to remember the funeral by.

I guess it doesn't change what I think of Covid, well maybe I'm really mad at it for ripping someone from my life. If that makes sense. So now there is an emotional component now.

BTW, it was in Georgia while I'm in Washington state. We heard late Mon, figured out logistics Tue morning, asked both our work can we can we take the rest of the week off starting two hours from now, grab the first plane here. And 24 hours later with no sleep get to my Aunts place, grabbed a bite to eat and finally get two hours of sleep. Needless to say we slept good.

All worth it, definitely.

Just wanted to share that and makes me appreciate the rest of my extended family even more and I will be keeping in much closer touch from now on.

Any good spots for photo ops in Georgia? In Atlanta.

I only packed my 1Ds III and 85mm f/1.2. Was gonna snap up the 400mm DO before I left. But we didn't have the time. Next time.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 09-23-2021 at 04:03 PM.