Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFExpress Cards Speed Tests

I went through a similar situation with a lens selection with an ultra wide vs wide angle for a trip to Mt Baker last weekend.

I was somewhat on a budget and because it was last minute I needed to find something either used or new locally.

I knew the 16mm wide end would be fine from my previous excursions up there. I knew the obvious practical choice was the 16-35mm f/4 IS vs the 16-35mm f/2.8 II or the 24mm f/1.4.

I really wanted the 24mm f/1.4 for other uses. And I knew up there I'd still get some great pics. But if I only went by stats I would have probably went with a 24-70mm or 24-105mm because most of my shots were not at the 24mm end at all. But I knew that was when it was snowy and I'd likely get more sweeping vista's. And there was some some shots I ended up doing a pano, but I still wanted more width.

I eventually opted for an ultra wide, which went against what my stats were saying. Because sometimes stats are not everything with lens selection. I knew well enough what I should be getting, rather than just stats.

I more or less dropped the 24mm f/1.4 not only because of focal length, but just as much because it was the original version available locally and I wanted the Mark II.

And after going there and using the 16-35mm it was the correct focal length range, if anything I could have went wider on some shots. I used it most of the time the 16mm end, but I did get some of my favorite shots on the 35mm end as well. So the focal length range proved to be very useful to me. And it didn't come to a surprise because I had the Tamron 10-24mm on the 60D I used to have and enjoyed immensely that lens and focal length range. It really was a great lens though if anyone ever wanted something like that, I was pleased with the IQ of my copy and obviously keeping in mind price and intended format.

I did the same thing with the 24-105mm I had (I owned both versions.) vs the 24-70mm. Statistically I like you used both ends of the focal length range quite a lot. I used IS quite a lot. But I still wanted a 24-70mm. So I got a Sigma version, I was in love with the focal length and aperture combination! So much better for me. Do I miss the longer end? Yeah, I do. But having f/2.8 was more important to me and transformed it for me. So much happier with that combo. But I sold that and now want the Canon Mark II.

Needless to say, sometimes you have to make a decision contrary what your past use experience because while you might have made use of the previous focal lengths, IS or aperture. You will shoot differently with the 24-70mm compared to the 24-105mm. And only with using them side by side will you know which is the right one for you.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 10-06-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    If I had to bet, I'll use the 24-70 more but take the 24-105 when I travel.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. In all the analysis, my primary thought beyond where it is used, is what could you live without? The missing 35 mm at the long end of the 24-70 is easy to compensate for by cropping. Sure, lost of pixels, and noise becomes more apparent if at high ISO, but it can be done with minimal penalty. Plus, I often have another lens in the bag that could be used to compensate.

But f/2.8 vs f/4. If you need that stop of light, if you want that bokeh, there is not an easy replacement.

Ah man the GAS is itching bad.

I have loaded up the shopping cart a couple of times. Like the idea of smaller(ish) cards vs the giant capacity. I had to giggle at the size of my hard drives vs the size of the cards. My laptop is 500g ssd an upgrade a few yesars ago., the desk unit is 1T. Space is reasonably cheap really tells me how long I have been happy with the core processors vs storage capacity of cards. Just an odd juxtaposition you might find humorous
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I thought this was interesting...I do not know these cards...but they are no publishing a "minimum write speed" that is pretty consistent with what test results people are finding.

Name:  CFE cards.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  169.5 KB