Thanks for the info, Brant. Like you, I tend to shoot in short bursts so probably a smaller card would be fine. Based on the file size of the R6 (slightly more MP than the R3), even a 64 GB will hold close to 3,000 RAW images. I can’t imaging shooting that many frames in a session, even at 30 fps, and I generally prefer more cards than bigger ones. If I shot video I may feel differently…but I don’t. So given that, I’ll probably pick up a pair of 64 GB CFe cards and see how it goes.

I also need to sort out the SD cards. I have a pair of 64 GB cards that I swap for my EOS R (they came in a bundle with the camera, along with a couple of video accessories that I gave away). However, they’re UHS-I cards and while that wasn’t an issue with the R, I think they’ll be too slow for the R3. I’ll pick up a pair of 64 GB UHS-II SD cards and see how they perform with writing RAW simultaneously to CFe and SD. If that slows it down, I’ll write just to the CFe and periodically Image Copy the files over to the SD during downtime (to mitigate against card failure).

I’ll definitely enjoy the R3, whenever it comes. In the meantime, I have an RF 70-200/2.8 showing up next week.