Thread: CFExpress Cards Speed Tests

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I went through a similar situation with a lens selection with an ultra wide vs wide angle for a trip to Mt Baker last weekend.

I was somewhat on a budget and because it was last minute I needed to find something either used or new locally.

I knew the 16mm wide end would be fine from my previous excursions up there. I knew the obvious practical choice was the 16-35mm f/4 IS vs the 16-35mm f/2.8 II or the 24mm f/1.4.

I really wanted the 24mm f/1.4 for other uses. And I knew up there I'd still get some great pics. But if I only went by stats I would have probably went with a 24-70mm or 24-105mm because most of my shots were not at the 24mm end at all. But I knew that was when it was snowy and I'd likely get more sweeping vista's. And there was some some shots I ended up doing a pano, but I still wanted more width.

I eventually opted for an ultra wide, which went against what my stats were saying. Because sometimes stats are not everything with lens selection. I knew well enough what I should be getting, rather than just stats.

I more or less dropped the 24mm f/1.4 not only because of focal length, but just as much because it was the original version available locally and I wanted the Mark II.

And after going there and using the 16-35mm it was the correct focal length range, if anything I could have went wider on some shots. I used it most of the time the 16mm end, but I did get some of my favorite shots on the 35mm end as well. So the focal length range proved to be very useful to me. And it didn't come to a surprise because I had the Tamron 10-24mm on the 60D I used to have and enjoyed immensely that lens and focal length range. It really was a great lens though if anyone ever wanted something like that, I was pleased with the IQ of my copy and obviously keeping in mind price and intended format.

I did the same thing with the 24-105mm I had (I owned both versions.) vs the 24-70mm. Statistically I like you used both ends of the focal length range quite a lot. I used IS quite a lot. But I still wanted a 24-70mm. So I got a Sigma version, I was in love with the focal length and aperture combination! So much better for me. Do I miss the longer end? Yeah, I do. But having f/2.8 was more important to me and transformed it for me. So much happier with that combo. But I sold that and now want the Canon Mark II.

Needless to say, sometimes you have to make a decision contrary what your past use experience because while you might have made use of the previous focal lengths, IS or aperture. You will shoot differently with the 24-70mm compared to the 24-105mm. And only with using them side by side will you know which is the right one for you.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 10-06-2021 at 09:51 PM.