Thread: Canon RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye

Canon RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye

Huh?

Shoot VR with Canon’s New RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye Lens - YouTube

I imagine that there are photographers/videographers out there that are very excited as they know exactly how they'd use this lens.

I am not one of those photographers. Overall, I am impressed to see Canon push the technology and their lens lineup. I've also always found it a bit curious why it seems that the R5 was pushed to 8K. But, it is needed for this lens, as, at this time, this lens will only work on the R5.

EDIT: Announcement from TDP newsfeed.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-06-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Very cool, and relatively inexpensive at $2K. But maybe that's like buying a cheap printer and then having to pay the ongoing high costs of ink/toner because, "Canon is currently developing two paid subscription-based software solutions as available options for completing the post-production process."

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Very cool, and relatively inexpensive at $2K. But maybe that's like buying a cheap printer and then having to pay the ongoing high costs of ink/toner because, "Canon is currently developing two paid subscription-based software solutions as available options for completing the post-production process."

Ha...of course they are.

This reminds me when I was much bigger into 3D imagery. This is a really amazing lens. Something to think about when switching to RF is incredibly unique lenses like these.

Now, where is my RF 50mm f/1.0 L from Canon.

You can zoom in, you can zoom out.
    Look left to right.
    If I were in to video maybe this would be interesting.
    At most it would be a purchase, play with it a while then it would gather dust.

I could see a use for it for viewing real estate, or maybe a virtual tour of a museum, attraction or anything else.
    Sample Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22y0NR8ApOY

Just watching that video and thinking about this more....but I've seen those VR googles for years and years. It has to be a great market. The floor space Best Buy and others gives it has been substantial (much more than classic photography in most instances).

The common theme in Canon's advertising, "now anyone can create high end videos for VR." They even show it going from the lens to the goggles in the video.

But, is this the future? Not flat screens, but watching your kid's birthday in 3D via goggles? Synapses in my brain are starting to weakly fire.

Putting on googles, I think this lens use would be limited. Personally I would find it annoying. It gets floor space because gaming is a big market.
    Virtual tours scrolling around on your screen, zooming in and zooming out like you can do on Google Earth street view, it would have many uses.
    I could think of uses for such a lens and video even in my industry, videoing a project during or after construction.
    I think it would be just a novelty item for me to own the lens for my own personal use.

Also, I suggest being there in person for your kid's birthday parties.
    Unless the party is with the ex-wife, and I can tell you there is no way in hell mine is going to shoot a video for me to watch.

Trying to figure out how to keep my feet out of the frame is I where walking, even with an extended gimbal.....
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911