View Poll Results: How many Megapixels is ideal for you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20-25 MPs

0 0%
  • 25-30 MPs

3 27.27%
  • 30-40 MPs

2 18.18%
  • 40-60 MPs

5 45.45%
  • >60 MPs

0 0%
  • <20 MPs

0 0%
  • Why one? Two bodies, the R3 at 24 MP and the R5 at 45 MPs

1 9.09%
  • Why one body? I want multiple sensor resolutions and I will explain below.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many MPs?

How many MPs?

As this came up, I thought I'd make a poll of it.

How many megapixels do you desire in your next camera?

No wrong answer, IMO.

We did this back in 2013, and the winning number was 25-30 MPs. But, new technologies, new cameras, memory is less expensive, and maybe needs have changed, so this is an update for 2022.

I'll leave the poll open for a week.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-03-2022 at 06:13 PM.

One noteworthy confound is the strength and design of the OLPF / AA filter. Canon has stated that the 24 MP sensor in the R3 delivers greater spatial resolution than the 30 MP sensor in the 5DIV. In other words, not all megapixels are created equal.

I remember EOSHD website person took the aa filter off the 5dIII and it seemed substantively sharper. Now that I have an R5, toying w/ turning the 5d3 to full spectrum, though the more I research it the less likely I am going to do it... now that we are talking about the sensor stack.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I notice the difference in resolution between the R5 and the 5Ds R.
    There are applications that the extra resolution is helpful. There are applications when it is not.
    One thing I noticed with the 5Ds R is how well the resolution improved my weak lenses. With a great lens like the 500mm it didn't help nearly as much.
    What would be "ideal" IMO is to have both a high mp body and low. The tradeoff of lower fps and noise for the higher mp body is more important.
    What I wanted was the 1Ds IV but Canon had other ideas.

So I choose nothing in the survey, if you add a line for both high and lower mp bodies, or even better a line "Ideal MP for what I am shooting" I could choose one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    One noteworthy confound is the strength and design of the OLPF / AA filter. Canon has stated that the 24 MP sensor in the R3 delivers greater spatial resolution than the 30 MP sensor in the 5DIV. In other words, not all megapixels are created equal.
    True. As we are trying to make this a 2022 update, let's assume with the current, better enhanced AA filters.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    So I choose nothing in the survey, if you add a line for both high and lower mp bodies, or even better a line "Ideal MP for what I am shooting" I could choose one of those.
    So, I can add an option, but am trying to see what people actually want in terms of sensors. So, by "high" is that 45 MP or 80 MP? By "Low" is it 20 MP or 35 MP?

How about the R5 the R3. I say it would be nice to have both.

I wouldn't know if there is a benefit to 80mp, is there one on the market for FF?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    How about the R5 the R3. I say it would be nice to have both.

I wouldn't know if there is a benefit to 80mp, is there one on the market for FF?
    You'd have to go to digital medium format with Fuji or Hasselblad, who both have cameras with 100 MP sensors on the market. Hasselblad talks about 400 MPs, but that is based on multiple 100 MP shots.

Canon's M6 II/90D's 32.5 MP APS-C sensors when scaled up to FF is ~82 MPs. Canon has also displayed prototypes >100 MPs. I have the M6 II, I haven't done controlled tests but when comparing images, I would call the benefit minor. Of course, AA filters/etc come into play.

And, actually, if we want a few comparisons, here are four images. One each for the 20 MP 1DX III, 45 MP R5, 30 MP 5DIV, and 82 MP FF equivalent M6 II. Each taken of birds, at my bird feeder from the same spot with the same lens (my 500 f/4 II). Double click on the image in flickr to zoom to 100%. After viewing the image, you can scroll down to see which camera took which image. Each of these was among my sharpest taken with that camera that I posted on Flickr.

6S0A6902 by kayaker72, on Flickr

IMG_3834-SAI by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A4407 by kayaker72, on Flickr

AC8I4633 by kayaker72, on Flickr

And, sure, I can see a difference....but is that difference worth the tradeoffs?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-04-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Interesting exercise. I clicked them in my personal order of preference. That order turned out to be 1D X III > R5 > 5DIV > M6 II.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Interesting exercise. I clicked them in my personal order of preference. That order turned out to be 1D X III > R5 > 5DIV > M6 II.
    Interesting....and that is with the 1DX III image being at ISO 8000. The 5DIV image is ISO 2000, R5 image is ISO 1600, and M6 II image is ISO 640.

Not a controlled test, for sure.

I will take one of each please!

One "lower" res, very speedy, high ISO camera .... around 30 mp or so

One ultra high res, in the range of 60-80 mp