Thread: Canon R5C

Canon R5C

Well I don't know how I didn't hear about this sooner. But the R5C looks like an interesting body. Has active cooling which I'm sure those who do a lot of video will be extremely appreciative.

I'm not a big video person, but I can definitely apriciate the steps Canon took to make this more video-centric.

What are your thoughts? Especially those that shoot some video. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to that since I think I shot one 1 minute video on my 1Dx III just to check it out. Previous to that it probably was way back in my 60D days where I messed around with any kind of video functionality.

I really should do more of it though.

Anyway, let the opinions pour in!

https://m.dpreview.com/news/02137933...ll-in-one-body
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 01-19-2022 at 09:34 PM.

I think it is an amazing step forward. Really begs the question of what the R1 is going to be.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

From Gordon Liang/Camera Labs.

The R5c seems very impressive. Not surprisingly, but the common complaint I've seen is lack of IBIS. It seems like most agree "serious" videographers do not use IBIS, but still, would not mind it as an option, thus proposing an IBIS that can be turned off/on. The mini-HDMI is still complained about, lack of internal ND filters and a few other issues.

From where I sit, great camera. I really wish the R5 could flip between video and stills on the on/off. And providing the full cinema menu in video mode has to be nice. Unlimited recording, never overheated, etc. Not a hybrid in terms of previous hybrids, even the old 1Dc. Really two cameras in one, which may be the best hybrid.

Makes me wonder if the lack of IBIS was a technical choice because of the active cooling and not an marketing choice?

I could see it being an engineering challenge and it's price point can see it being omitted.

Not sure if that is the case?