Thread: RF 600mm f/4 L IS USM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I just finished checking it out and am ready to find something to use it on. Here is my impression.

My cave man version of checking IQ is to set up a printed target, checked the 500mm at 15 feet and 18 feet for the 600mm. There is no noticeable difference for the average laymen between the two lens when it comes to IQ. There is no reason to buy this lens if you are trying to get better IQ only.

I have checked the IS, it is makes no noise at all. I started wondering if it even works. I checked by turning it on and off hand held and it does work. I am hearing no clicking or whirling noises. If this is normal it is not as noisy as the older versions.

Unlike the other RF lenses I recently bought, the 24x70, 70x200 and 100x500 I had said and think the upgrade is very marginal. I do not think it is true for the 600mm. I am overly impressed by the weight redistribution, reduction and the ability to hand hold.

Edit: And the carrying case is a miss for Canon. A few dollars more put into the bag could have made it useful. As it is I still need a bag to carry it with camera on.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-12-2022 at 05:21 PM.

1/6th of a sec?

Nothing like 7-8 stops of IS

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

My cave man version of checking IQ is to set up a printed target, checked the 500mm at 15 feet and 18 feet for the 600mm. There is no noticeable difference for the average laymen between the two lens when it comes to IQ. There is no reason to buy this lens if you are trying to get better IQ only.
    Good to hear. But also good to hear that the ergonomic changes may be worth it. As crazy as it is, I often handhold the 500 II. Someday having that be easier would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Edit: And the carrying case is a miss for Canon. A few dollars more put into the bag could have made it useful. As it is I still need a bag to carry it with camera on.
    I use the Mindshift Firstlight 40L. Bryan did a review here. I very much like the bag, but do not love it. It is basically a large padded cube that can fit 500 or 600 mm lenses. But, I tend to use the cubed area. All the side pouches have limited use. There is zero padding in the computer sleeve, so I have never used it except to store a rain jacket. I also wish the belt was removable.

All that said, never had an issue at an airport. Fits easily in the overhead bins. And it is comfortable.