Thread: R5 and RF image stabilization

R5 and RF image stabilization

The RF 600mm F/4 L IS USM is supper quit when the IS is on.
    Bryan's review mentioned that he heard a click and whirling noise in his review.

I called Canon Service to ask, they said that it is supposed to be extremely quite and what I am not hearing is normal. I couldn't get much out of them other than this. I was hoping that they would give an explanation of how it works.

Looking at the spec sheet for the EOS R5 it appears that the IBIS is handling quit a bit of the IS.
    All RF lenses with IS says that Pitch/Yaw is Coordinated Control, Optical IS + in body IS.

It made me wonder if the RF 600mm F/4 has a different type of stabilization than the EF system.
    One that is designed to work with IBIS system rather than a stand-alone.

I have tried to find info online about the RF 600mm F/4 and its system, not much out there yet.

Other lenses are discussed in the R5 Spec Sheet:
    https://downloads.canon.com/DMSD/r3/...ifications.pdf

It seems the workload for stabilization is divided up between the In Body and In Lens.
    If anyone knows of a good article that describes what "coordinated control" is and how they two are working together it might be an interesting read.

In a long tele lens like a 600mm, the lens IS is doing almost all the work. That’s physics. For IBIS to be as effective at 600mm as at 60mm, the sensor would have to move 10x the distances, and it can’t.

Here’s a useful graphic from Canon:

The article it came from is probably along the lines of what you’re looking for, it’s here:

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/sto...stabilization/

Good information.
    Some of the information in the article is contained on the spec sheet for the R5 and R3.
    Everything I have found so far is Pre RF 600mm F/4, and nothing much about it.

I just ran through a few more non scientific hand held tests. I am getting right around 5 stops of IS (a little more and a little less on each try) with the RF 600mm.
    I tested the EF 500mm II as well, as advertised I am getting about 4 stops.

Ahhh I remember when... you where "the man" if you could hand hold 300mm 1/125...

Not only did a 600 not exist (refractive telescope) the idea of hand holding a 400 was giggle city.

For no other reason than amazement i would turn off IS every so often on the tamzooka. LoL. No man here, just a humble boy ..... which can still adopted.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911