Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1Dx III VS R3

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It is good to know I am not the only one already making plans. The eclipse cuts through my home state, and there are some nice cabins just in the path. I was debating if it is to early to go ahead and reserve a cabin.
    For a total eclipse, I'm pretty fussy about going to where the odds of clear skies are the absolute best. So for that reason it has to be Mexico. For much of the eclipse track through the US, the odds of clear skies are maybe about 50/50. Of course, my chosen spot could still end up cloudy. It happened to me in Hawaii in 1991 (my first eclipse attempt), and I was seriously choked. But I've had three successful ones since then (India, Turkey, Idaho), and I'm hoping to keep the streak going

@Jonathan

With the mirror down the 1Dx III doesn't fair any better than the R5 from my experience. And this happened with me and the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 and the 1Dx III, live view AF, with it's ridiculously thin DOF. Although if I remember correctly it was much less problematic than the 85mm. Something that didn't seem out of line. This was a year ago.

I know we tried it with a couple settings, AI servo and AI focus. And others.

Fixed focus points definitely better though, not as much in the accuracy department. But more so it not hunting for the eye, especially with a mask which totally messes with it. I guess it's not that relevant in practice, since anyone I photograph is not wearing a mask. But the 1Dx III doesn't have that issue.

I'm also thinking the Dual pixel AF is focusing on contrast in one plain vs two in the 1Dx III or even a ultra sensitive X type AF sensor. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Soon enough I'll be doing a super detail analysis of the two AF systems since the R5 is such popular camera. I think it is very relevant. Along with the R3. Which I have much higher hopes being more fine tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    For a total eclipse, I'm pretty fussy about going to where the odds of clear skies are the absolute best. So for that reason it has to be Mexico. For much of the eclipse track through the US, the odds of clear skies are maybe about 50/50. Of course, my chosen spot could still end up cloudy. It happened to me in Hawaii in 1991 (my first eclipse attempt), and I was seriously choked. But I've had three successful ones since then (India, Turkey, Idaho), and I'm hoping to keep the streak going
    Idaho had to much smoke where we were.
    Then the drive back to the cabin in West Yellowstone took a long time. Idaho was not prepared for the traffic.
    I actually went off-road on trails to get to very high spot on top of a mountain. We had a successful eclipse view but the low hanging smoke was annoying.

April in Oklahoma is about a 50/50. Usually that time of year is stormy rather than overcast. Storms go through in the late afternoon.

If I had to travel at all I would be doing the same thing you are, being in my home state I want to take the chance. Also if I were traveling I would probably be getting good insurance on my gear, some Mexican drug lord would love to have a nice big lens.

Idaho had to much smoke where we were.
    Then the drive back to the cabin in West Yellowstone took a long time. Idaho was not prepared for the traffic.
    I actually went off-road on trails to get to very high spot on top of a mountain. We had a successful eclipse view but the low hanging smoke was annoying.

April in Oklahoma is about a 50/50. Usually that time of year is stormy rather than overcast. Storms go through in the late afternoon.

If I had to travel at all I would be doing the same thing you are, being in my home state I want to take the chance. Also if I were traveling I would probably be getting good insurance on my gear, some Mexican drug lord would love to have a nice big lens.
    We got lucky with the smoke in 2017 --- there wasn't much in Idaho Falls. If your weather is stormy, you just need to be mobile and ready to drive to a sunny gap. If it's overcast, then you're obviously hooped. Our Mexico trip is an organized tour, so all logistics are handled by experts and the risk of disruption is minimal.

Also if I were traveling I would probably be getting good insurance on my gear, some Mexican drug lord would love to have a nice big lens.
    YES YES and double YES!!!!

I have had my gear stolen from my vehicle 3 times before.

Last time I had my passenger side window bashed out and they did a hit and run. Yes yes I know I should not keep personal belongings in a vehicle overnight. But I was dumb and took my chances.

Luckily I was able to recover everything within a week. One of the guys, his wife was friends with my wife. She went to school with her.

We found part of the gear at a local pawn shop, figured out his name. Found him on FB, told him everything and told him he had a warrant for his arrest. He still had my other stuff.

I told him I wouldn't prosecute if he gave me back my gear. He agreed.

So we just agreed to leave the stuff at a coffee shop and I would pick it up.

Low and behold he actually followed through!

He already has multiple warrants for arrests for car prowls and car thefts. So he is going to jail regardless if I prosecute anyway. But the cops said I should otherwise I would be on the hook for the amount he pawned at the pawn shop. So kinda have to now.

Plus the pawn shop is gonna prosecute and because it was my work rig he broke into my boss will prosecute.

So he will finally learn it is not fun to steal. Especially when it was 6k worth of stuff. He only got $60 off of my 300mm f/2.8 IS!!!!! Just a crying shame you would rip off someone of so much for $260 in total pawned.

But yes, I ain't gonna be leaving my stuff in a vehicle from now on, I typically don't. And I do have an excellent homeowners insurance that would cover it. Sadly I've had to use it before. But you can't replace the images on it. That made me more upset than anything because they were a relatives baby pics and I was not able to retake them.

But yes, DEFINITELY get your homeowners insurance to cover your equipment!!!!!
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 03-02-2022 at 08:15 AM.

All this right before a proposal shoot, so I ended up renting the pieces of kit I was missing. Which included the 300mm f/2.8 IS II. Such an awesome lens.