Thread: RF Native Lens Cropped vs 1.4x vs 2x

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All those are good suggestions for being more accurate. The narrower DOF of the 2x comes in to play and as you mentioned even gluing the target down might improve the results in some areas. Same thing on making it square. I could have worked a few more hours to make at it as precise as possible. A different printer would have helped as well.

I do think the focus is on. I refocused every shot so I had three samples. The method I used I always have good results. Any and all shake was eliminated and I focused at 10x.

Look at Bryans chart. I think the results were similar to Bryans. I think it is representative of what I am seeing. Toggle back and forth between the 600mm at native vs extender. The Center is noticeably softer.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=0&APIComp=1

Unfortunately I can not repeat the test, and if someone asks and I could I would. I sent the 2x back. With my preferences I realized that I would not be happy with it. The RF 2x would have to perform beyond its abilities. The EF 2x III I have is hardly ever used on my 500mm. It was only useful in very rare instances, and in those instances fine resolutions wasn't as important. Also if I keep my 500mm I am good to 1000mm if needed for a certain application.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 03-06-2022 at 04:24 PM.