Thread: 50mm f/1.0 or 200mm f/1.8

50mm f/1.0 or 200mm f/1.8

Sooooo.

Hypothetically I might have the option to get either lens, both for the same cost locally. 200mm f/1.8 has the original 1.4x and 2x extenders. Both look to be in excellent condition.

Besides the obvious just get them both, and it might be an option. Which would you get? Both would get plenty of use from me, I've always loved the 200mm f/2.0 IS. Have used it on a couple of occasions and it is an amazing lens. But I certainly am not apposed to the 200mm f/1.8 and have always been intrigued by it.

Likewise, the 50mm f/1.0 has always been a dream lens for me. This and the 85mm f/1.2 is what inspired my screen name way back in 2008 or 2007. Because I love fast lenses.

Which one would you choose? I do technically have the option for either. Maybe both if I ask nicely.

Seems like both is the answer .... would be killer combination for the low light wedding work that you are doing.

Lol, yeah.

But if you guys had the choice. Which would you get?

I'm pretty evenly split myself. It's hard to choose, both are legendary lenses.

Legendary is the key word. Old and elite in their time may be another description.
    Decades old technology is another description.
    Unlike many of the current lenses, the older versions had to be stopped down a little to realize their sharpness.
    Add to that the improvements in lens design hat have made improvements like IS and Optics but also Lens Coatings.
    Overall you may not be satisfied with the lens, but as Joel mentioned for your work you may have a use for them and they may be great.
    I would have to pick them up cheap to make either attractive, they are more a collector item to play with rather than a work tool from my point of view.

I would go for the 50mm as the one more elite.

They are dated, for sure. But I view them as relevant as very specialized tools and affects. They are not as sharp as modern lenses, but there is no real equal for the 50mm. Unlike the 200mm f/2.0 IS. But since I am presented with the option from the same seller at a decent price and I have always loved the 200mm f/1.8, it peaks my interest.

I really had my sights set on a 200mm f/2.0, and in ways still do. But a f/1.8 still by no means a bad lens and can and still is being used professionally. Have a photographer friend who uses it for sports and swears by it. He really enjoys his.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 03-13-2022 at 06:09 PM.

And while we are on the subject of 200mm f/1.8 lenses.

Here is an FD 200mm f/1.8 for, get ready for this, a whopping 30 grand!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/canon-FD-20...-127632-2357-0

Needless to say I'm speechless, ain't no way of justifying that price. Just no way.

I'm floored.