Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Count

Shutter Count

I have both a 1DsIII and a 1DIII. I have tried several different apps to determine shutter count and all I tried seem to only work with newer camera bodies. Does anyone know how I can determine shutter count?

By the way, I have them both on ebay for sell. The 1Ds is in good condition and the 1D is in very good condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373915479117
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/373915490406

I now have a 1Dx and love it

Mark
    Mark

Have you tried www.EOScount.com?

Looks like it should work. I previously used it but have switched over to ShutterCount by dire studios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Have you tried www.EOScount.com?

Looks like it should work. I previously used it but have switched over to ShutterCount by dire studios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does not work for me. All of my cameras come back with this message:
    Your camera is not supported for shutter count retrieval. Shutter count is not available.

Under the FAQ:
    Which cameras are supported for shutter count retrieval?

Single-DIGIC III, all DIGIC IV, and some DIGIC V EOS cameras are supported. For example, shutter count can be read from the

• Rebel XS / 1000D / Kiss F
    • Rebel XSi / 450D / Kiss X2
    • Rebel T1i / 500D / Kiss X3
    • Rebel T2i / 550D / Kiss X4
    • Rebel T3 / 1100D / Kiss X50
    • Rebel T5 / 1200D / Kiss X70
    • Rebel T3i / 600D / Kiss X5
    • Rebel T4i / 650D / Kiss X6i
    • Rebel T5i / 700D / Kiss X7i
    • Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7
    • 40D
    • 50D
    • 60D
    • 70D
    • 7D
    • 6D
    • 5D Mark II
    • 5D Mark III
    • 1D Mark IV
    • 1D X
    • 1D C

DIGIC II and dual DIGIC III cameras are not supported. For example, shutter count is not available for the original 5D (Mark I), the 1D Mark III, and the 1Ds Mark III. EOS M (mirrorless) models are also not supported.
    Newer cameras are not supported yet due to changes in Canon SDK.
    Last edited by clemmb; 03-29-2022 at 03:21 AM.
    Mark

Hi Marc,

Yes, I see that for ShutterCount, but did you try www.EOScount.com? It is what I used for my 7D and 5DIII and on their website it says it will work with "any EOS DSLR that has Digic III or later."

Checking both the 1DIII and 1DsIII, both are dual digic 3 according to TDP specs page.

Hope it works for you,

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Hi Marc,

Yes, I see that for ShutterCount, but did you try www.EOScount.com? It is what I used for my 7D and 5DIII and on their website it says it will work with "any EOS DSLR that has Digic III or later."

Checking both the 1DIII and 1DsIII, both are dual digic 3 according to TDP specs page.

Hope it works for you,
    This is in the FAQ of www.EOScount.com:
    DIGIC II and dual DIGIC III cameras are not supported. For example, shutter count is not available for the original 5D (Mark I), the 1D Mark III, and the 1Ds Mark III. EOS M (mirrorless) models are also not supported.
    Mark

Ok, I see where they say that now. In another location they say Digic III or more recent. So, conflicting information.

A quick search and I found threads saying with the older cameras they have to be sent into Canon to get a value. This guy wrote a quick summary.

If you are apple user get the very cheap app from app store. Shuttercount is the name if i remember correct

For giggles.

Does the fully electronic shutter count? I had it set on H+ and had to sift through 3,900 frames after a fun morning with the ospreys. I learned to be a little lighter on the shutter button and a little more precise in the starting point . Yes my wife LOL'd the frame count.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I found a thread on DP Review forum where someone asked the same question, and the answer appears to be yes, the shutter count includes electronic shutter. But if you send the camera in for service, they should be able to report on the actual number of mechanical shutter actuations. Meanwhile, keep on shooting and having fun! 3900 frames is a good morning for sure . Out of curiosity, are you using C-RAW? I've switched to that to take advantage of the file size reduction (about 2/3 the size). It's quite handy for people like me who lean heavily on the shutter button. Everything I've seen indicates that there is no loss in quality at all.

R5 specific, but I may be looking for a new way to track shutter count. But the "Shuttercount" app that I've used recently does not seem to generate accurate information. Could be that Canon has made a change in the R5. But, previously with the 5DIV and M6II, the app provided detailed estimates as to shuttercount, if it was electronic, etc.

Just did my second download, and it just say <20000 in one spot. In the Distribution section, it says <43000 electronic and <20000 mechanical. I almost always shoot electronic first curtain shutter. Only used true mechanical to test, and use pure electronic only when I want 20 fps. So, those values seem off. Then, under "history" it has 5,000 for my first update (really wrong) in 2021 and 20,000 for the update today.

In short, just wrong information.