Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24-70 2.8 or 28-70 2.0 or 24-105 4.0???

24-70 2.8 or 28-70 2.0 or 24-105 4.0???

I have compared the ER/RF 24-105. A meh difference if ever there was one.

What I ponder is if either of the faster lenses at 70 would crop to the 105 range with reasonably similar effective resolution with the R5.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I will give you an educated guess:

I did some test shots with the R5 in full frame mode with image cropping in post and compared them to the taking shots in the 1.6 crop mode .... there was very little difference in image quality.

I suspect if you shoot RAW you could easily crop a 70 mm shot in post processing to simulate 105 mm with no problem or simply shoot in 1.6 crop mode which gets a field of view equivalent to 112 mm on a 70 mm lens.

In crop mode you get less megapixels (17 if I remember correctly) but the resolution is still quite reasonable.

I guess if you know for sure that you are going to be cropping your images in post-production, then you might as well shoot in 1.6 crop mode and gain the smaller file size.

As a follow-up to the other thread, I just did a test in crop mode and C-RAW, and I could not fill the buffer in the R5 at 12 fps no matter how long I shot. The card was easily keeping up with the shot rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    What I ponder is if either of the faster lenses at 70 would crop to the 105 range with reasonably similar effective resolution with the R5.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
    This is essentially what I have been doing since going from the EF 24-105 f/4 L Mk 1 to the EF 24-70 II. Never looked back. Even on the 5DIV. The IQ out of the EF 24-105 was good. But I've always preferred the IQ (contrast, sharpness, etc) from the EF 24-70 II. I do understand that the RF 24-105 is better at 105, which may change the RF conversation a bit. But, as Joel points out, you are still getting a 17-20 MP image even when cropping on the R5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I guess if you know for sure that you are going to be cropping your images in post-production, then you might as well shoot in 1.6 crop mode and gain the smaller file size.

As a follow-up to the other thread, I just did a test in crop mode and C-RAW, and I could not fill the buffer in the R5 at 12 fps no matter how long I shot. The card was easily keeping up with the shot rate.
    Great point. I have reassigned my DOF preview button to toggle between 1.6 crop mode and FF (a Joel Eade suggestion, ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I have reassigned my DOF preview button to toggle between 1.6 crop mode and FF (a Joel Eade suggestion, ).
    What a great idea -- I've now done the same. Thanks! I just wish there was a similarly quick way to switch between mechanical and electronic shutter. I have it programmed as a custom menu item, so that will have to do unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    What a great idea -- I've now done the same. Thanks! I just wish there was a similarly quick way to switch between mechanical and electronic shutter. I have it programmed as a custom menu item, so that will have to do unless I'm missing something.
    Can you set up different C# (custom) modes and use the M.Fn button to cycle through them? That’s what I do on my R3 (although for me it’s all electronic shutter with 3, 15 and 30 fps).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Can you set up different C# (custom) modes and use the M.Fn button to cycle through them? That’s what I do on my R3 (although for me it’s all electronic shutter with 3, 15 and 30 fps).
    That worked! Brilliant. I've always ignored the C# modes in the past, but this is a great reason to use them. Many thanks!

24-70 2.8 seems to be the winner

And dof button is a 'free' button, I use dif preview about never.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    24-70 2.8 seems to be the winner
    On EF, I definitely preferred the 24-70/2.8 II. Better IQ than the 24-105 MkI (I had two copies of that), and most importantly, better AF performance on a DSLR because of the wide aperture-requiring AF points.

For RF, if I had to pick just one, it would be the RF 24-70/2.8 IS.

Having said that, I started with the RF 24-105/4 and found the IQ to be equivalent to my EF 24-70/2.8 II. I liked the extra range, and f/2.8 on R bodies no longer adds AF functionality. I couldn't really justify owning both the 24-70/2.8 and the 24-105/4, but rather than swap for the latter for the former, I kept the 24-105 and added the 28-70/2 for indoor low light and portrait use. It's a beast of a lens, but balances well on the R3 with the E1 hand strap.

Ooof. Not going to do 2 in the range. You felt the 70 cropped was a lessor image than the 105?