Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 - Image of the Week #27

2022 - Image of the Week #27

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 27 entry period will be from Monday, June 27th through/including Sunday July 3rd.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by Kayaker72.

Okay last photo from Jasper --- I promise! (Maybe)

"Are you coming, or what?"

Columbian Ground Squirrel Family

Female Summer Tanager

Canon R5
    EF 600mm f/4L
    1/4000 sec
    iso 2500
    f/4.5

Animal eye tracking worked pretty well on these fast little flyers in my back yard.

Female Pileated Woodpecker

Male Summer Tanager

Sorry for the delay here. I have been struggling to make a selection. Basically, too many pictures I would have been very proud of had I been the one that had taken them.

Three cubs? One looking straight at you? Love it. I bet it was amazing just being there. How close you were to the ground squirrels. Great.

Joel, all three of yours have great light, great color, and excellent poses or stopped action.

So, when I do not have a clear favorite, I run through my list: how unique is the image, how well do I think an image will compete at the monthlys, would people put this on their walls, could I see this image being used commercially, etc.

And actually, several images do well with those criteria....but, I kept coming back to:

Joel Eade---Male Summer Tanager.

Thanks Brant.

I have had some fun with the R5 and flight shots of the pair of Tanagers in my yard. The key is that I noticed they have a very consistent flight path to and from the feeders. Knowing that makes it a tad easier to follow them with the big lens. Still not easy to keep the entire bird in the frame but when successful the R5 locks on with eye tracking AF pretty well and most images are in focus.

Of course using the electronic shutter you get a ton of images to sort through and usually only a small number of them have really good poses.....two of them I posted this week

That Tanager shot is indeed killer, with sharpness wingtip to wingtip, the glint in the eye, perfect bokeh, and even the complementary red/green colour palette. If my bear cubs are going to lose out, they can take plenty of solace in knowing it was to that! Joel you keep raising the bar with your bird shots --- I'm amazed at every one you post.

Thanks Jonathan .... that is a wonderful compliment and I am likewise impressed by your images here as well.