Thread: Hoya Sq100 Filters

Hoya Sq100 Filters

Has anyone seen anything about the Hoya Sq100 filter system? Hoya is getting into the 100mm square filter market (I'm actually surprised they weren't already), and this seems like a nice system with accommodation for a polarizer. The announcement says "Sales will commence on March 15, 2022", but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

https://hoyafilter.com/news/hoya_sq1...ystem_release/

Filters are something that pains me a bit. Basically, while not insurmountable, I've main a reasonable investment and ultimately use a combination of B+W, Breakthrough, Lee, and Singh Ray filters and a cokin filter holder. But, people keep coming out with advancements that seem good, but just not yet good enough for me to swap out. Bit of the story of my photographic life at the moment.

I hadn't heard about the Hoya square system, but I have seen a lot of chatter about the Kase magnetic system. Here is a video by Nick Page comparing some recent filters (2020) and him selecting Kase. But, I've seen them around other places, generally getting a very good reception.

If I do anything with filters, as I seem to be staying with EF glass, I likely will pick up drop in filters for my RF-EF filter holder.

I have Breakthrough 77mm ND filters for my EF lenses (I've managed to buy mostly lenses with 77mm filter threads). But I'm anticipating getting RF lenses with larger filters (once I migrate to an RF mount body). I'd like to move to 100mm square format filters, since they can be adapted to various lenses. I've also started using 100x150mm graduated ND filters for landscape work. I have the Breakthrough filter holder and a 2-stop graduated ND filter.

I'm happy with the quality of Breakthrough filters, but I'm growing frustrated with the 100mm square ND filters being perpetually out of stock. I'm starting to look for alternatives.

Does anyone have alternate suggestions for 100mm square filters with equal optical quality (sharpness and color neutrality) and durability?

Jason

Edit: I'll take a look at Kase; I hadn't heard of them before.
    Last edited by C4RBON; 07-15-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Just saw this update on the Kase filters...claims magnets are wearing down over time. Now recommending a kickstarter for Maven (of Michael the Maven) filters.

I haven't used either. I am still using a combination of B+W and breakthrough screw in filters.

Rubbing magnets on an expensive piece of delicate electronics and a finely tuned piece of glass kind of gives me the thought this isn't a great invention.