Thread: Canon EF 28-135mm

Canon EF 28-135mm

I have been looking for a the lens mentioned on the subject (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ). The thin is that I have a seller whos selling the same lens used for 275€. But what concerns me is the fact that that particular lens is over 4 year old. I haven't seen that used lens my self yet. Same lens as a new one costs 495€.

What do you people here think about this? I meen is it worth paying the extra 200€ for new one? Or sould I go whit this ower 4 years old used? And for the answers not just yes/no.

The lens would be used as a main lens on my DSLR (400D). Right now I have the kit lens EF-S 18-55.

PS: The other option I have been looking is the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. Im not conserned about the lack of wide angel. Becouse I can shoot those whit the kit lens and moust of my so far pohtos have been shoot in 55mm end of the kit lens.

Re: Canon EF 28-135mm

Apologies, as I don't know exchange rates.

In the US, I think that lens was selling for $400 when the 40D was released. 40D kits came with this lens, for a roughly $200 price increase over a body-only box. So, if I were starting up and had an 18-55 lens, I'd be willing to spend probably no more than $200 for the 28-135 since that's all the dollar value it showed to have. At $200, it's an excellent lens - much more "lens" than the 18-55 (72mm filter versus 58mm I think), better AF, somewhat better build quality, etc. At $400, it's still a decent lens, but I don't think I'd spend the money knowing what I know.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I've owned the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens for 5 years. It's on my 40D. I paid $409 (302€ ) for it new. After 5 years it still works well. It's a good walking around lens, especially for the price. The IS really makes a big difference with this lens. I'm looking to replace it with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, though.

You can find the EF 28-135mm lens on Ebay for $225-$250 (165€ -185&euro. Often the sale will include a hood and maybe a UV filter.

I think in any case when you're considering a used lens, it's always better if you can have a try yourself before you buy. I personally will not buy any used gear without having an inspection/test myself, even though it seems like a great deal. A 28-135 lens for almost half of the price but 4 years old, sure, only if it works fine and without sign of heavy use or abuse.

If i need such a lens I would get the 28-135 over the 28-105. The 28-135 is just a more capable lens in terms of almost anything.

I tested out the used lens and I buyed it. Now I'm very happy whit my decision. The lens has no scratchs or anything not in the lens or in the lens boy it self. All works fine. AF works, it's fast as you should expect from USM focus motor. IS works. Image quality is the same that on a new lens that I tested on my retailer. Nothing to complain. The final deel was 250€ that included the lens, a lens hood and a UV filter.

For my quick photo trip I made today whit the lens. It's just the lens I have been looking for. It covers all my needs. For now at least.

Glad you're happy with it!

My friend has had mine on my old XT for over a year now, and he's still impressed with it's image quality compared to other affordable lenses he's tried.

I've been using the 28-135mm on my 40D for around 18 months now and to be honest I think it's a great lens. It obviously doesn't have the amazing image quality of some of the L series lenses but it also doesn't carry the hefty price tag. I've been lucky enough to get some great shots with this lens and I've recommended it to friends who are also happy with their results.

I chose to get the 28-135mm with my 40D instead of the twin lens kit and I'm very glad I did. If you are in a situation (as I was when I purchased this camera/lens) where you're still learning to use the camera then I believe this is a perfect walkaround lens and will allow you to appreciate the quality of a great (but expensive) L series lens in the future without breaking the bank. In terms of a second hand lens that is 4 years old... I'd steer clear personally.

My next lens purchase will be either the 24-70 f/2.8L or the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS.I have tried both of these lenses and they are amazing. For the moment though, the 28-135mm still works well. Hope this helps put things in perspective from a more amature/hobby photographer's perspective. Good luck!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30