Thread: Rain gear for camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rain gear for camera

Hello all. In about three weeks I'll be taking a trip to Niagara Falls, American side only, and I'm looking for recommendations for some rain gear. I've been searching online and figured it's time to get some opinions. I just purchased the R5 and I'll be bringing that along with the RF 24-105 f/4 L, EF 70-200mm and I may rent the RF 15-35mm. I know that no matter where I am near the falls, mist is a constant and I plan on visiting Cave of the Winds. I have a waterproof case for my cell but I do not want to rely on that for pictures. The S22 Ultra takes some good pictures, but for trip like this, I want my R5. I'm looking for something that will protect my gear, not be unwieldly or get in the way of others, and not cost and arm and a leg. I looked into dive housings but I really don't want to spend that kind of money.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments,

Trent
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

There are many options.

First and foremost, if there is a lot of mist, even if you can see your subject, it will be difficult to get a good shot as your front element will be covered almost instantly. But, often, the mist is so prevalent, you may not even see your subject.

Unless you are after some sort of image in mind that includes extreme mist, I would actually stick to the basics:
    1. A good bag that either repels water naturally or has a rain cover
    2. A mist cover for your camera. I use ones from Rugged and Opteka. Just saw this review of the "Best Rain Covers for 2022."

As you mentioned underwater housing, maybe you are planning something much more intense than I had considered. For somewhat inexpensive underwater housing, you might want to consider this or other products from EW-Marine (granted, they are still pretty pricey).

Other than that, I would simply have a microlens cloth handy as you will be wiping down the front element often.

For whatever it is worth, playing with the mist and the lights that come on at night can make for great subjects.

Walk IMG_2645 by kayaker72, on Flickr

And then, fireworks + Falls.

Fireworks IMG_2254 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thank you for your reply. I'm covered on bags, I have three to choose from and two of them have rain covers. The third one is my ruck that has saved my gear a few times when I got caught out in the rain. It sheds water nicely and is easy on the back when loaded. Still trying to decide what gear I will bring so that will decide the bag. Thanks to your links, I've narrowed it down to the Ruggard and one from Think Tank. I almost pulled the trigger on the Ewa-Marine U-B 100 but decided I needed something that was easy on, easy off. Forgot about something to wipe my front element off, so thanks for mentioning that; it's the small things that get overlooked.

Thanks for posting a couple of pictures. Like the fireworks one a lot. As I understand it, the fireworks are only on Friday and Saturday. My trip is only three days at the beginning of the week, I have other commitments at the end of the week. A few night shots are on my list and hopefully I can get a shot of the mist with the lights. I live three hours away so my first day is packed with non falls activity.

Appreciate your help and suggestions.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert