Thread: Don't leave your lens unused for a long time!

Don't leave your lens unused for a long time!

Hi everyone,

My good friend bought a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II just a few months after it was released, the lens was used a few times in the house and had sat unused until this last Tuesday when I offered to buy it from him. Upon testing the AF no longer worked. My friend switched to Nikon 6 years ago and sold his 1Dx a long with his super telephotos so the lens sat unsued for at least 6 years, the hood was still wrapped in the original plastic.

....scappering feet as everyone runs to check their lenses....

That is really too bad...but also odd. I wonder if some moisture got in or something along those lines.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount

Good to know, all my lenses get used regularly. So knock on wood that won't happen to me. LOL.

I'm assuming you are still very much into birding as always Nate? I'm tempted to no end to get a 200mm, 500mm or 600mm. Kinda leaning to the 500mm as there is a nice one for $2700 locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount
    You know what, never thought about cleaning the contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ....scappering feet as everyone runs to check their lenses....

That is really too bad...but also odd. I wonder if some moisture got in or something along those lines.
    It is odd indeed. I was so disappointed as he was giving it to me for $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    Good to know, all my lenses get used regularly. So knock on wood that won't happen to me. LOL.

I'm assuming you are still very much into birding as always Nate? I'm tempted to no end to get a 200mm, 500mm or 600mm. Kinda leaning to the 500mm as there is a nice one for $2700 locally.
    Nowadays I photograph my son and daughter with my iPhone 12 Mini �� the last time I was out birding was September 2019 for some burrowing owls. My 13 year old Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS is still working flawlessly.

Well at least you still have your gear, I also had a phase of not doing any birding. But I find that I never dropped the hobby completely even if I took a hiatus. Do you have a site or a flikr page or something where you post your images? I'm getting back into it more seriously and would love to review your work and glean anything to improve my own work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    Well at least you still have your gear, I also had a phase of not doing any birding. But I find that I never dropped the hobby completely even if I took a hiatus. Do you have a site or a flikr page or something where you post your images? I'm getting back into it more seriously and would love to review your work and glean anything to improve my own work.
    I actually don't have anything at the moment trictly for photography, I uploaded my pictures to iCloud so that I have them in my phone and some I uploaded to Facebook.