Thread: Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS III Image Stabilizer noise

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS III Image Stabilizer noise

Hello,

I just got a new 70-200 f/2.8L IS III for about a week. I've been noticing that when the IS is activated and the camera is moved/panned the IS makes a faint grinding noise, is this normal? When I hold the camera still there's a click followed by a whir when IS is activated, I understand the click at start/stop and the whir in between are characteristics of the IS system. It's the the grinding noise when moved/panned that concerns me. It's been over 8 years since I owned the original 70-200 f/2.8L IS so I don't remember much. If someone has the version II or III could you please check for me? Other than that the lens is amazing

Thanks
    Nate

I have a version II and it is nearly silent ..... Have you tried the different modes?

A grinding noise would concern me too.

I think if it were mine I would consider returning it if possible and get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I have a version II and it is nearly silent ..... Have you tried the different modes?

A grinding noise would concern me too.

I think if it were mine I would consider returning it if possible and get another one.
    After more extensive testing last night, my conclusion is I'm too paranoid! The noise is there if I really try to listen to it. I also noticed that the IS is a bit louder at 200 than 70. Thanks for checking Joe!