Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: RF 135 f/1.8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    5,572

    RF 135 f/1.8

    The EF 135 f/2 has been around for what seems like eons, but now, we have a new RF 135 f/1.8. Bryan had some time with a pre-production model.

    So far, other reviews seem to be a run down of specs. But, if I find something better, I'll post.

    And here is a video by Vanessa Joy for Canon. Good number of images.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-02-2022 at 01:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Fast Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ferndale WA
    Posts
    1,175
    In so many ways a lens like this, when it is such a huge upgrade is kinda easy to review and recommend.

    It is just a tremendous upgrade no matter how you slice and dice it compared to the original and hard not to talk highly about it or recommend someone whip out the credit card for one.

    Just buy it if you are wanting a 135mm.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    5,572
    MTF Chart from Canon Japan (I am not seeing MTF charts on Canon USA anymore):

    RF 135 f/1.8 @ f/1.8:





    That is pretty sweet. Elite, really.

    BTW...if you want to read up on MTF and the changes Canon made in 2018, here is an article.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-04-2022 at 01:17 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    3,613
    That certainly is impressive!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    741
    I wish Canon would make an adapter for RF lenses to use on Canon DSLR. I recently added the EF 70-200 f2/.8L IS III to my kit if there is such adapter I would totally go with the RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    5,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    I wish Canon would make an adapter for RF lenses to use on Canon DSLR. I recently added the EF 70-200 f2/.8L IS III to my kit if there is such adapter I would totally go with the RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS.
    Unfortunately, this is impossible. The Flange Back distance on the RF lenses is 20 mm while that distance on EF lenses is 44 mm. This is the physical distance from the back of lens (usually a metal ring on L glass) to the sensor. With the RF being 24 mm closer than EF, you can use a 24 mm adaptor to adapt EF to RF mount. But, unfortunately, it cannot work the other way around because the RF lens would be moved 24 mm further away from the sensor, thus, a 50 mm RF lens would be 74 mms away from the sensor and the lens elements would not be properly focusing the image on the sensor.

    Here is an article talking about this and other aspects of RF vs EF, Flange Back differences is illustrated about 3/4 of a page down.

    Enjoy your "new" EF 70-200 III.

    For what it is worth, I have yet to purchase a single RF lens. Still using the EF glass. Not surprisingly, it works extremely well on the R5. About the only flaw with this that I have found so far is that with video you can hear the USM motors while focusing the EF lenses. The motors on RF lenses are supposed to be much quieter.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is impossible. The Flange Back distance on the RF lenses is 20 mm while that distance on EF lenses is 44 mm. This is the physical distance from the back of lens (usually a metal ring on L glass) to the sensor. With the RF being 24 mm closer than EF, you can use a 24 mm adaptor to adapt EF to RF mount. But, unfortunately, it cannot work the other way around because the RF lens would be moved 24 mm further away from the sensor, thus, a 50 mm RF lens would be 74 mms away from the sensor and the lens elements would not be properly focusing the image on the sensor.

    Here is an article talking about this and other aspects of RF vs EF, Flange Back differences is illustrated about 3/4 of a page down.

    Enjoy your "new" EF 70-200 III.

    For what it is worth, I have yet to purchase a single RF lens. Still using the EF glass. Not surprisingly, it works extremely well on the R5. About the only flaw with this that I have found so far is that with video you can hear the USM motors while focusing the EF lenses. The motors on RF lenses are supposed to be much quieter.
    Thank you for the explanation, I had no knowledge of the physical limitation. I was out of the game for over 5 years. I heard EF lenses work better on mirrorless than they would on DSLR, is this true?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jonathan Huyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canmore, Alberta
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    I heard EF lenses work better on mirrorless than they would on DSLR, is this true?
    Well you don't have to do any AF microadjustment with lenses on mirrorless cameras, and there is some improvement in stabilization due to the IBIS working with the lens IS. Otherwise I'm not sure what the differences might be. Maybe the focusing is faster? I would be surprised if that were true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •