Thread: Transitioning to RF?

Transitioning to RF?

So a couple of sales have caught my eye, specifically $300-$400 off the RF 70-200 f/4 and RF 14-35 f/4. As I am content with my EF glass, I am most likely to let the sales pass without picking either of these up. Actually, the primary issue I have with my EF glass is noise while videoing, but I typically video with a 24-70, so neither of these would really fix that problem.

The temptation:
    • RF 70-200 f/4:
      • Pros: Small, light travel telephoto lens. Great IQ. Seems superb in every review I have seen.
      • Cons: Really, what I would like is a 70-300 L that is about the same size and weight. Variable aperture for a travel lens is fine with me. Right now I mostly travel with the 100-400 II, but do eventually want something smaller/lighter.

• RF 14-35 f/4:
      • Pros: 2 mm wider, and IS + IBIS may give me enhanced handholdability
      • Cons: Meh, I really rarely even use my EF 16-35. It is already a great lens. Size/Weight aren't much different. And IBIS alone with the R5 and the EF 16-35 lets me hand hold down to ~1/2 sec. How much better would it be, really?

So, you can see, not overpowering arguments.

So, before the sale ends, I thought I would turn to the forum, see if anyone else has strong arguments.

Thanks...Brant.

Pro: If you sell your EF lenses now, to fund these, more people will be interested than when everything is RF mount.

Con: If you have a mix of EF and RF bodies, new lenses won't work on the other bodies.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The 70-200 becomes a 110-320 when you switch the R5 to crop mode

I use the EF 16-35 f/4 on my R5 and like it a lot. It's a bit big, especially with the adapter on, but I'd have a hard time justifying the swap to RF.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Pro: If you sell your EF lenses now, to fund these, more people will be interested than when everything is RF mount.
    A good point. At a minimum, I really should take a look at my little to not used lenses. Granted, that may only be one or two lenses as I actually use or want to keep most of my lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Con: If you have a mix of EF and RF bodies, new lenses won't work on the other bodies.
    Yep. This is in play, currently I still have the M6II and 5DIV that can also use the EF lenses. My overall plan is to never completely sell off my EF lenses as I plan to keep my 5DIV. Safe been the EF 24-70 II will never be sold, same may be true of the 100-400II. Nice basic kit there even if I move to RF with everything else and even duplicate those lenses in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I use the EF 16-35 f/4 on my R5 and like it a lot. It's a bit big, especially with the adapter on, but I'd have a hard time justifying the swap to RF.
    Exactly. Great lens. It does what I need perfectly. Looks like they are selling for $500-$600 on ebay. So, I'd invest $800 and time to sell the EF 16-35.

More and more, I am beginning to wonder if I will stay primarily EF for a long time. Maybe augment with a RF lens if something really catches my eye. I may have said this before as I have been thinking it for awhile now. But what really is a pretty good sale on those two lenses had me thinking again as sometime in the next couple of years is when I thought I would transition...
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-27-2022 at 01:02 PM.

My opinion is that there are very limited reasons to upgrade any lenses to RF.
    Unless you have the cash to burn for limited returns I recommend staying with EF.
    Keep in mind that I know have the following RF lenses and the only real benefit I see:
    24x70 L it has IS but it seems larger. The EF versions are excellent.
    70x200 f/2.8 L it is much smaller and more compact, can not use extenders. The EF versions are excellent.
    100x500mm it has no equal really so it is the one exception.
    600mm F/4 less weight and better balanced. The 600mm F/4 II would be an excellent lens to hold on to if you weren't trying to pick up a few pounds.

I still have all my EF lenses and have debated whether to sell them or not. Much of the EF stuff is already fire sale prices IMO and I am thinking about gifting mine if a family member takes an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    The 70-200 becomes a 110-320 when you switch the R5 to crop mode
    After 14 years posting on the forum it is just hard to argue that logic........

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Much of the EF stuff is already fire sale prices IMO and I am thinking about gifting mine if a family member takes an interest.
    I think many photographers may be willing to be adopted for a few of those gifts ;-).

Thanks Rick. I was wondering what you thought of your new gear. Didn't know you had picked up the RF 600 f/4.

One small tweak I may make to my kit as it looks like I am staying EF for the foreseeable future would be to start using the drop in filter adapter and not have to pack multiple sizes of different filters (I typically travel with 6 different front end filters). They wouldn't be stackable, but I do not often do that anyway.

It is tempting for sure these sale prices, I promised myself no more big purchases for a while since buying my 500mm f/4 IS. But the prices of some of these items is substantial marked down! Specifically the 1Dx III at only $4500. If I had the means I'd probably jump on it. Right now I'd be having to run my credit card, which is something I don't like to do for anything but emergencies.

But does purchasing gear I use to make money justify it? Hence my temptation.

Hope my thought process helps, if you got the means to comfortably afford it. I'd be tempted to go with it.

Thanks John.

If a lens will help you make more money than otherwise in a reasonable timeframe...yes, I would say it justifies its purchase.

For me...I will likely occasionally check out RF gear, but I decided to hold tight. I am looking at drop in filters for the EF to RF adapter instead.