Thread: 2023 and 2024 Eclipse

2023 and 2024 Eclipse

I was talking to some friends about the 2024 total eclipse that was coming up and when looking for a link to send them I discovered there is also a annular (ring of fire) eclipse coming up this fall (Oct 14).

Great American Eclipse

I'm booked for the April 2024 total eclipse! While the shadow cuts a large swath across the US, I'm going to Mexico where the viewing prospects are the best, both in terms of cloud cover and eclipse duration. I saw an annular eclipse once, in San Diego (1994). It was super cool, especially since it happened right at sunset. So I got to witness the ring of fire setting into the ocean. However nothing (and I mean nothing) compares to seeing a total eclipse.

I'll be taking pictures of course, using my R5 with the 100-500 mm lens. A focal length of 400-500 mm is about right, to capture the full corona. I have a solar filter that I can place over the lens to protect the camera during the partial phases. No filter is used for totality. For the 2017 total eclipse, I used my 1DX with the 100-400 lens to both observe and take photos. I definitely want to observe the eclipse through an optical viewfinder, not an EVF. So now that I've sold my 100-400 mm lens, I have to figure out something else. Perhaps I'll just use binoculars, and operate the R5 with a cable release at the same time.

If you're planning to go to Mexico, I'd suggest signing up with a tour company to do it. Even though you can make your own arrangements, grab a rental car, and so on, you could be taking a bit of a chance. Anytime an eclipse happens, the local area goes a bit wild and your bookings could be mysteriously bumped. So find a reliable tour operator that can avoid such issues. I'm going with Astro Trails, a company based out of the UK. I've traveled with them twice before (India and Turkey) and they're great.

Didn't know about the one this year, but have been strongly considering a trip to the southern part of Missouri to see it. Last time was a bust and should have went where I was planning in the first place as they got a clearing just as the totality happened. I was stuck in a cloudy mess.

Sounds like a perfect thing for my new to me BAM..... big ass motorhome.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I will be in Vegas on 10/12. Hmmm
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911