Thread: Yes I'm a gear geek...

Yes I'm a gear geek...

...but I can't resist!

I found out about handheld thermal imagers and thought how cool that would be for wildlife and bird spotting. So I did some research and bought one, the Hik Micro Falcon. Here's a video showing how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBKjTCFR-M

I took it out with me yesterday to the owl hotspot. And when I aimed it at a row of trees, here's what I saw:

As you can see, the owl really stands out in the image. It was quite hidden behind some branches, and after finding it with the thermal imager I still had a really hard time finding it with binoculars! Then I spotted it, changed my angle a bit to get a clear line, and took this photo:

So I was pretty pleased with it, to say the least. But of course, it's really of limited use in this kind of application and it doesn't in any way replace the 'normal' way of looking for owls, which is to drive slowly for hours while scanning the trees with the naked eye. It was just in this case where I wanted to check the trees alongside a big field where the imager came in super handy.

I think the thermal imager would also be really good at finding small mammals like bobcats, which are so good at hiding in the grass.

Mostly of course it's just a really cool gadget, suitable for a geek like me who is in it as much for the toys as for the photos

If you have any questions about it, fire away!

My brother is a big foot enthusiast. I actually have pictures on my computer that he claims he took of Big Foot. Actually Big Feet, there were more than one in the picture. He has actually appeared on television with these pictures.

I think with this technology Big Foot wouldn't stand a chance.

But to another point you made in the post: "the 'normal' way of looking for owls, which is to drive slowly for hours while scanning the trees with the naked eye". I could drive for weeks before I see a single owl.

It is a bit pricy, which version did you go with? FQ50?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

I could drive for weeks before I see a single owl.
    I got 4 owls in half a day! Not too bad. But still it's a lot of effort.

I bought the FH35, which is basically a crop-sensor version of the FQ50. So the field of view is a lot smaller. But it sure performs well!

That is so cool! Awesome idea to owl hunt. Almost got hit by the only owl I've been able to get a picture of so this would be so cool to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post

Very Warhol-esque.

Cool...and have to admit, you have me looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Very Warhol-esque.
    Maybe I should submit that to the photo of the month?

So do you think a converted to full spectrum 5d3 could fill in? Was pondering to convert my old 5d3... hmmmm

And from life pixel the answer is...
    Can the converted camera be used for thermal imaging?

No, infrared converted cameras are sensitive to about 1200nm only, thermal imaging requires sensitivity from about 7,000nm to over 14,000nm.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 02-13-2023 at 10:54 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    No, infrared converted cameras are sensitive to about 1200nm only, thermal imaging requires sensitivity from about 7,000nm to over 14,000nm.
    Interesting! The specs on my thermal imager indicate that the response wavelength is between 8,000 - 14,000 nm.

I like geek, not very good at it but I find it interesting. Would have been cool is a dslr could do double duty.

Would be interesting to find examples of 1,200 or 1,000 nanometer emitters
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911