Thread: Printing dimension question

Printing dimension question

I am completely new to getting prints of pictures. The most I've done is buy cheap kodak paper and throw it into my inkjet printer. So this poses a problem as a school art show is coming up and I need to get some prints.

I dont know what to do to the files before I either send them to snapfish or target (skimping out on printing costs).

When I open some of the JPEG files in PS and make the rulers visible, the picture goes to say, 48x32.

Wil everything be alright when I send that to get printed? Or will everything be horribly distorted. I dont know what to do. Sorry, total newbie to this.

Re: Printing dimension question

I'm working on a little write up on Adorama Pix...

They have these great professional paper types called Kodak Endura.. the metallic and linen and luster are stunning papers...

Basically if you are using a Canon Digital SLR you are shooting in a 3:2 format... that means if you go on standard paper sizes such as 8x10 or 11x17 you will lose a little of your image to a crop....

now what I recommend personally is to print your photos full frame without cropping them, this may leave a little white border on your prints but then you can either trim that off or matte over it.. You can also go with a correct ratio print such as 12x18 and this will be a proper print, but there aren't many frames out there that will fit it (20x26 would be the appropriate size) plus the cost of custom framing that size is expensive.

With my 50D shots I love to print on kodak endura papers from adorama and use 11x17 with a full frame no crop...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

"I dont know what to do to the files before I either send them to snapfish or target (skimping out on printing costs)."

Rodger, you can upload your jpgs to a large number of online print providers. I like Adoramapix, but there are many more. You will want to create an account and upload to a project folder. If you need help, call them they'll walk you through.

"When I open some of the JPEG files in PS and make the rulers visible, the picture goes to say, 48x32."

That's because the EXIF data is telling photoshop that the image is....say...72 DPI. (dots per inch) A dot isa pixel. If you go to image resize you will see the 48" x 32" and you'll see the DPI as well. Uncheck resample and set the 48 to 6. You will see the DPI go way up to something like 300-600. Now, PS will treat your photo as a 4 x 6. You haven't lost any information and the file has not changed, it's just how PS handlesthe image size based on dots per inch.

"Wil everything be alright when I send that to get printed? Or will everything be horribly distorted. I dont know what to do. Sorry, total newbie to this."

Even if you didn't change anything you photos would be fine.

This is a simple way to think about it.

Let's say I take a 6 megapixel photo. It is 3000 x 2000 pixels.

AT 72 dpi (that's 100% zoom on your monitor screen) the image will measure 3000/72 = 41.67in X 2000/72 = 27.78in

At a print resolution of 6" x 4" the DPI will be 3000/6 = 500 dpi (A modern laser printer can print @ 600dpi. an inkjet @ 300 plus dpi)

At a print resolution of 12" x 9" the DPI will be 3000/12 = 250 dpi (This would be good enough for a photo book viewed up close)

At a print resolution of 36" x 24" the DPI will be 3000/36 = 83.3 dpi (Up closethe image wouldlook pixelated. This can be overcomein PS by resampling during enlarging. The result is a soft blended image that looks smoother and more natural. This poster size print would look fine viewed in a gallery from a distance of 4 plus feet away)

Hope this helps a little.

Chuck

It does.Thank youboth for your quick responses!