Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R5 - Rumored new firmware

R5 - Rumored new firmware

I do not usually post about rumors, but this was interesting.

To make the R5 "viable" for another year, the rumor is that it will receive a major firmware update that will include a few new features. What caught my eye was what I consider the #1 thing I would want from the RAW that could be adjusted by firmware, RAW Burst Mode (here called "Pre-shooting Buffer"). The R3 has it, the M6II has it, even my M6 II has it. But not the R5. This would be a very nice feature and one that I would use fairly often. As others mentioned in the comments, I would share the hope of getting additional options to 20 fps for electronic shutter, something like 5/10/20 fps would be great.

Everything else, we'd have to wait and see.

Did you read about the R5 maybe getting pixel shift? If true, it would bring the R5 to 180MP.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Did you read about the R5 maybe getting pixel shift? If true, it would bring the R5 to 180MP.
    Yes, I did see that. Speculation was we might see this firmware update before NAB 2023, so about a month away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Yes, I did see that. Speculation was we might see this firmware update before NAB 2023, so about a month away.
    Everything I've read about the possible update sounds promising. Hopefully it won't break the camera!
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

I wonder if some of the birds sit still enough for pixel shift?? Make for some interesting large scale prints.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Latest rumor pegs the update to a possible 400MP: https://fstoppers.com/gear/will-cano...-images-628923

Assuming this is all there is, you get the 400 MP pixel shift. I did not get RAW Burst mode. Translated from Canon Japan's website:

EOS R5 Firmware Version 1.8.1

Information posted on March 2023, 3

Firmware changes

This firmware includes the following improvements and fixes:

• [IBIS Hi-Res Shooting] has been added to the menu. By utilizing the in-body image stabilization mechanism, it is now possible to record images with higher resolution.

• ※To check your images, use the EOS Utility/Digital Photo Professional. EOS Utility/Digital Photo Professional requires updating.

• Added [Save and read communication settings to card] to the menu. Network settings can now be transferred between cameras of the same model.
    • It is now possible to crop and resize images during image transfer to an FTP server.
    • Added "Image Protection" for FTP transfer to the menu. Images transferred via FTP can now be automatically protected. This allows you to determine whether the image has been transferred by FTP.
    • Fixed minor bugs.

If the camera firmware is already version 1.8.1, you do not need to change the firmware. When making changes to the firmware, please read this page carefully before using the download service.

Canon USA still has 1.7 listed.

It will be interesting to try out 400MP, but there will have to be near perfect conditions to use it otherwise the pictures could be ruined. I was hoping that the RAW burst mode and the added auto focus modes would be available in this update. Hopefully they will drip feed us those down the road. Will update and try the pixel shift out as soon as my schedule allows.

Yeah, I'll do the update and give it a try sometime soon. It will be interesting how much pixel peeping is necessary to see a difference. But, RAW burst mode is something I would use. Hopefully it comes out in a future update. Canon has it. It would be great to see it in the R5.

I am way behind in firmware 1.3 so this will be a worthwhile catch up. Need to figure out what reality doesn't move too much for 400 mpx
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911