Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon RF 100-300 f/2.8 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Hmmmm....maybe Canon's goal with the RF 100-300 f/2.8 is to get us all to appreciate how affordable the $2,800 RF 70-200 f/2.8 really is
    Yea man
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

And we have an announcement.
    I have a feeling, there is a group that really wants this lens: indoor sport photographers, parents with tween kids and all their functions, etc. That is just not me.
    It is me, which is why I preordered the lens on launch morning.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    It is me, which is why I preordered the lens on launch morning.
    haha....I could have just said "Neuro" instead of "parents with tween kids...."

haha....I could have just said "Neuro" instead of "parents with tween kids...."
    Hard to believe, two are now teens and the third just became a tween.

That is a busy house, I am sure.

Usually do not post about rumors, but as a couple of us said we were looking for the 200-500 f/4, that is the "CR3" rumor. Q4 '23 or Q1 '24. Of course, these things can vary. But, it does look like it is coming. It reportedly will not have a built in TC, like the 100-300 f/2.8. But that there will be a "nice teleconverter solution," whatever that means.

I am excited about the potential of both of those, but have to admit, the 200-500 f/4 is less appealing without the built in TC. So, I'll have to wait to see what this "solution" is.

But that there will be a "nice teleconverter solution," whatever that means.
    I am excited about the potential of both of those, but have to admit, the 200-500 f/4 is less appealing without the built in TC. So, I'll have to wait to see what this "solution" is.
    There have been a couple of Canon patents for TC solutions recently, one quite recent where some elements rotate and slide out of the way in different locations that looks like a two-option solution (e.g. 1.4x + 2x switchable, or perhaps 1x=bypass + 1.4x or 2x). There was another from a couple of years ago with what looks like 1x+1.4x+2x (or a TC zoom) with the ability to also add drop-in filters and maybe a kitchen sink, but that one does not look like something that would be made into a product (in theory it could, because of course 'reduction to practice' is needed for a patent, it just seems rather impractical).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    There was another from a couple of years ago with what looks like 1x+1.4x+2x (or a TC zoom) with the ability to also add drop-in filters and maybe a kitchen sink, but that one does not look like something that would be made into a product (in theory it could, because of course 'reduction to practice' is needed for a patent, it just seems rather impractical).
    I read the actual patent for that one (as opposed to the blog post coverage) and it looks more like a mount adapter patent for video applications (matching a larger image circle to a smaller sensor with simple magnification optics, variable ND or image stabilization possibly being added). Not really a TC patent at all.

Meanwhile, FedEx has my 100-300/2.8. FedEx Ground used to be reliably an overnight delivery from NJ (B&H, Adorama), but now it's usually two days for delivery though sometimes they get things to me faster. Two days would be fine if it was fixed, but I'm not a fan of the variability. I live in a nice, safe neighborhood but even so I'd prefer not to have a $10K lens sitting in front of my garage until I get home. In this case, I switched the delivery to a nearby pickup location. Sure, B&H sends things like this as 'direct signature required' but since Covid our regular FedEx drivers ignore that and just leave the packages. Even wine club shipments that require not only a signature but one from someone over 21 are left in front of the garage.

Great! Excited to hear about the 100-300 f/2.8. That should be a very nice new toy.

Shipping, yeah. It has become very bad. For work, we occasionally have to have samples shipped from Europe. Most Europeans use DHL, and we've had deliveries to nearby residences, samples sitting on loading docks for days. It's crazy.

It's a tremendously interesting lens, it took me a while to even think if it is something I would even use. And after some shooting, I could definitely use it. But I have a hard time justifying 10k when I already got a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and 300mm f/2.8 IS on seperate bodies. If money is no reasonable object, then I'd just preorder it and enjoy it. Alas I'm not quite there yet in my life. But it's a stunning piece of engineering. I can think of one award winning photographer I know casually that has been begging Canon for DECADES for this lens. And he is super pumped they are gonna make it.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 06-04-2023 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    It's a tremendously interesting lens, it took me a while to even think if it is something I would even use. And after some shooting, I could definitely use it. But I have a hard time justifying 10k when I already got a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and 300mm f/2.8 IS on seperate bodies. If money is no reasonable object, then I'd just preorder it and enjoy it. Alas I'm not quite there yet in my life. But it's a stunning piece of engineering. I can think of one award winning photographer I know casually that has been begging Canon for DECADES for this lens. And he is super pumped they are gonna make it.
    Even if you are an event photographer that would use this range, you are carrying around a huge lens. In those times you only need 70x200 it would seem like to much baggage. You could have the 70x200, the 300 2.8 and it might make more sense.

This lens earns the L designation as it is truly a luxury item.